Czech Regional Court returns online hate speech case about death threats against first-graders to lower court, more evidence needed
News server iDNES.cz reports that the Regional Court in Ústí nad Labem has returned to the lower court in Teplice a case of just one of the many hateful online commentaries threatening the first-graders at a primary school in Teplice with death because they appeared to not be white. The Regional Court is asking the lower court to add evidence to the record that is pertinent and to then issue a ruling on the case.
In April, the lower court in Teplice acquitted a man who had posted a commentary suggesting that the children should be gassed, saying that it was not possible to conclude beyond the shadow of a doubt that he was the actual person who had published the posts from that particular social media account without interrogating him to confirm this. The prosecutor then appealed that verdict to the Regional Court.
"With regard to the facts of the case ascertained by the first-instance court, the appeals court has concluded that they are incomplete and that it is necessary to provide more evidence in order to clarify this matter. If the Regional Court were to perform this task, itt would be doing the job of the first-instance court," reads the Regional Court resolution that news server iDNES.cz has seen.
The school was located on "Gasworks" (Plynárenská) Street. The accused is said to have posted the following comment beneath an online photograph of the children in the first-grade class there: "It's a good thing they're from the Gasworks Primary School. The solution is right there. Don't say it didn't occur to you!!!"
According to the prosecutor, the man was referencing the murders in gas chambers that were performed during the Second World War; the prosecution has also accused him separately of uploading photographs with Nazi subject matter to social media. For felony incitement of hatred against a group or inciting the restrictions of their rights and freedoms, and for displaying sympathy with a movement aiming to suppress human rights and freedoms, the perpetrator faces between six months and three years in prison if convicted.
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech school targeted with hate over its non-white first-graders last year receives donation of laptop computers
- Czech Police charge young woman over hateful online speech against first-graders
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
- Czech Police investigating three suspects over death threats against first-graders
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech MP and educator "understands" why some are calling for murder of first-graders
- Czech racists threaten online to kill children because they are of Arab and Romani origin
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Czech court returns to case of hate speech online targeting non-"white" first-graders
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- German shooting spree is being investigated as a terrorist attack