Czech Republic: 500 at anti-Roma demo, police keep neo-Nazis from attacking
In the Czech town of Duchcov (Teplice district) about 500 people demonstrated in response to an attack perpetrated by a group of Romani people against a young non-Romani married couple in mid-May. Police have already charged five assailants with grievous bodily harm in the case.
After the assembly ended, some demonstrators heading for a Romani-occupied neighborhood. Police blocked their way and organizers called on them to disperse. Police eventually intervened and arrested two demonstrators.
The anti-Roma meeting was convened by three local people and was called a "Gathering of Dissatisfied Citizens". "I don't know what to expect. I am afraid there will not be any room for discussion today," said Mayor of Duchcov Jitka Bártová prior to the gathering, which she later addressed.
One hour before the protest was scheduled to begin, local Romani residents also gathered to pray for peace and quiet. "It takes two to fight," the clergyman leading the prayer reminded them.
The gatherings were convened in response to the 18 May assault. Police say the incident was preceded by an attempted bicycle theft during which the bike owner was injured. The same assailants then attacked the young married couple on their way home from the discotheque, kicking and punching them. A court later refused to remand the five charged suspects into custody.
Police are also investigating events that followed the assault. They are interested in how video footage of the incident recorded by municipal cameras was leaked, how a local municipal patrolman behaved during the incident, and in internet discussions conducted by Jindřich Svoboda, one of the conveners of the assembly, in which he called for all Romani people to be massacred.
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Slovak Police charge woman with threatening Muslims and Roma through Facebook, she faces six years in prison
- German court sentences xenophobes to seven and eight-year prison sentences for arson
- Czech Police close investigation into arson attack by neo-Nazis on the Klinika Social Center
- Senegalese model featured on Lidl ad in Czech Republic hired by company importing mobile phones
- Slovak Parliament changes regional election rules, extremists could benefit
- Czech Police propose prosecution of ultra-right extremist, he faces three years if convicted
- Stano Daniel: Fico's the "gypsy", I am a Rom
- Czech Police investigation of death threats against Romani celebrity continues, his brother targeted also
- German Police arrest seven in raid on ultra-right
- Romani celebrity addresses Czech Senate on International Day of Holocaust Remembrance
- Czech Police say threats to burn down ROMEA organization were not criminal
Tags:Demonstrace, Duchcov, Extremism, Napadení, Neo-Nazism, news, Racism, Roma
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.