Czech Republic: 500 at anti-Roma demo, police keep neo-Nazis from attacking
In the Czech town of Duchcov (Teplice district) about 500 people demonstrated in response to an attack perpetrated by a group of Romani people against a young non-Romani married couple in mid-May. Police have already charged five assailants with grievous bodily harm in the case.
After the assembly ended, some demonstrators heading for a Romani-occupied neighborhood. Police blocked their way and organizers called on them to disperse. Police eventually intervened and arrested two demonstrators.
The anti-Roma meeting was convened by three local people and was called a "Gathering of Dissatisfied Citizens". "I don't know what to expect. I am afraid there will not be any room for discussion today," said Mayor of Duchcov Jitka Bártová prior to the gathering, which she later addressed.
One hour before the protest was scheduled to begin, local Romani residents also gathered to pray for peace and quiet. "It takes two to fight," the clergyman leading the prayer reminded them.
The gatherings were convened in response to the 18 May assault. Police say the incident was preceded by an attempted bicycle theft during which the bike owner was injured. The same assailants then attacked the young married couple on their way home from the discotheque, kicking and punching them. A court later refused to remand the five charged suspects into custody.
Police are also investigating events that followed the assault. They are interested in how video footage of the incident recorded by municipal cameras was leaked, how a local municipal patrolman behaved during the incident, and in internet discussions conducted by Jindřich Svoboda, one of the conveners of the assembly, in which he called for all Romani people to be massacred.
- Michal Miko on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: What next?
- Analysis: Swiss Parliament approves law on "solidarity aid" to victims of forced sterilization
- Czech Police said to have prevented parents of deceased Romani man from seeing his body before the autopsy
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Hungary: 1 000 fans of Roma Pride march through Budapest, honor Romani revolutionaries
- Slovakia: Residential hotel in Bratislava refuses to house Romani workers
- Czech eyewitness: Local racists insulted my Romani friends, assaulted us, and put them in fear for their lives
- Commentary: Informing on the "Gypsies"
- Czech Republic: Romani people remain the most victimized by prejudice
- Analysis: How extremism has changed over time
- Czech Republic: Five physically injured after Hitler is praised in local restaurant
Tags:Demonstrace, Duchcov, Extremism, Napadení, Neo-Nazism, news, Racism, Roma
Czech Republic: Pizzeria management says Romani man who died there attacked customers, who "detained him until police arrived"21.10.2016 21:23
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.