Czech Republic: 500 at anti-Roma demo, police keep neo-Nazis from attacking
In the Czech town of Duchcov (Teplice district) about 500 people demonstrated in response to an attack perpetrated by a group of Romani people against a young non-Romani married couple in mid-May. Police have already charged five assailants with grievous bodily harm in the case.
After the assembly ended, some demonstrators heading for a Romani-occupied neighborhood. Police blocked their way and organizers called on them to disperse. Police eventually intervened and arrested two demonstrators.
The anti-Roma meeting was convened by three local people and was called a "Gathering of Dissatisfied Citizens". "I don't know what to expect. I am afraid there will not be any room for discussion today," said Mayor of Duchcov Jitka Bártová prior to the gathering, which she later addressed.
One hour before the protest was scheduled to begin, local Romani residents also gathered to pray for peace and quiet. "It takes two to fight," the clergyman leading the prayer reminded them.
The gatherings were convened in response to the 18 May assault. Police say the incident was preceded by an attempted bicycle theft during which the bike owner was injured. The same assailants then attacked the young married couple on their way home from the discotheque, kicking and punching them. A court later refused to remand the five charged suspects into custody.
Police are also investigating events that followed the assault. They are interested in how video footage of the incident recorded by municipal cameras was leaked, how a local municipal patrolman behaved during the incident, and in internet discussions conducted by Jindřich Svoboda, one of the conveners of the assembly, in which he called for all Romani people to be massacred.
- Vicente Rodriguez Speaks About His Vision for the Romani People
- Czech Justice Minister says moving pig farm from Roma genocide camp may require expropriation
- UK: Muslim Community Helps Survivors of Grenfell Tower Fire
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
- Commentary: Social Exclusion is a Global Issue
- Turkey: Roma Families in Istanbul Face Continued Gentrification
- Bosnia: Melina Halilovic is First Romani Woman in Municipal Council in Visoko
- Czech Republic: Romani people discuss whether the approach of Afrofuturism could empower them
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Czech and Slovak ministers call for ways to combat radicalism
Tags:Demonstrace, Duchcov, Extremism, Napadení, Neo-Nazism, news, Racism, Roma
Together We Can: Staffer of youth drop-in center says differences between Czech and Romani youth are minimal18.6.2017 10:02
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.