Czech Republic: 500 at anti-Roma demo, police keep neo-Nazis from attacking
In the Czech town of Duchcov (Teplice district) about 500 people demonstrated in response to an attack perpetrated by a group of Romani people against a young non-Romani married couple in mid-May. Police have already charged five assailants with grievous bodily harm in the case.
After the assembly ended, some demonstrators heading for a Romani-occupied neighborhood. Police blocked their way and organizers called on them to disperse. Police eventually intervened and arrested two demonstrators.
The anti-Roma meeting was convened by three local people and was called a "Gathering of Dissatisfied Citizens". "I don't know what to expect. I am afraid there will not be any room for discussion today," said Mayor of Duchcov Jitka Bártová prior to the gathering, which she later addressed.
One hour before the protest was scheduled to begin, local Romani residents also gathered to pray for peace and quiet. "It takes two to fight," the clergyman leading the prayer reminded them.
The gatherings were convened in response to the 18 May assault. Police say the incident was preceded by an attempted bicycle theft during which the bike owner was injured. The same assailants then attacked the young married couple on their way home from the discotheque, kicking and punching them. A court later refused to remand the five charged suspects into custody.
Police are also investigating events that followed the assault. They are interested in how video footage of the incident recorded by municipal cameras was leaked, how a local municipal patrolman behaved during the incident, and in internet discussions conducted by Jindřich Svoboda, one of the conveners of the assembly, in which he called for all Romani people to be massacred.
- Czech annual report on extremism for 2016: Neo-Nazis leaving the DSSS for National Democracy
- Germany: Right-wing extremism in the east connected to communist rule, study says
- Slovak President sharply criticizes shabby results in combating Romani poverty
- Harvard survey over 15 years finds Czechs are Europe's biggest racists, critics question its methodology
- Italy: 1 000 attend march to mourn Romani children who died in arson attack
- Convicted German neo-Nazi who is a former Red Army Faction terrorist arrested in Hungary after seeking asylum
- Second acquittal from Slovak lower court for police officers filmed abusing Romani children at police station
- Czech Police charge man who insulted minorities online, he faces up to three years if convicted
- VIDEO: Romani singer Joci Pápai makes it to the Eurovision final
- Czech Republic: Romani people who responded to racist innuendo by giving the Nazi salute face up to three years in prison
- German neo-Nazi in Army allegedly planned terrorist attack, fraudulently registered as refugee
- Robert Tonelli: Romani people must propose their own candidate for President of the Czech Republic
Tags:Demonstrace, Duchcov, Extremism, Napadení, Neo-Nazism, news, Racism, Roma
Czech Republic: ROMEA calls for boycott of performances by Romani group and Russian military ensemble, rejects Russian propaganda14.5.2017 9:35
videoOpening remarks at commemoration quote Romani genocide survivor: "There's a pig farm at Lety. How could they allow that?"13.5.2017 20:57
(Výbor pro odškodnění romského holocaustu - VPORH). In his opening remarks he reminded those assembled of the fate of the Roma and Sinti during the Second World War by
recalling the story of one of them, which news server Romea.cz publishes here in full translation.
videoFULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku13.5.2017 19:40
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.