Czech Republic: Amaro Records releases its first two videos by young Romani singers
The Brno-based recording studio Amaro Records has been running for three months and has just released its first two video clips. The recordings were made by young Romani singers who got an opportunity to record there in exchange for their volunteer work during the construction of the community recording studio.
The studio is located at the site of a former gaming room in the center of Brno and was created thanks to the nonprofit organization IQ Roma Servis. "We have a volunteer program that is open to all and offers one hour in the recording studio for five hours of volunteering," Petra Borovičková, manager of the studio, explained to Rozhlas.cz, the online news server of Czech Radio.
The first video clip released by Amaro Records features 18-year-old Anna Maria Bagárová, who has longed to be a singer ever since she was a little girl. When she discovered the opportunity one year ago to contribute to building the studio, she did not hesitate to volunteer.
In May, when Amaro Records offically opened, Bagárová began to work toward making her dream come true. She took the melody of a song recorded by the Armenian performer Anushik Alaverdyan and wrote her own lyrics to it.
A singer performing under the artistic name of Fany Wonder has also recorded this cover of a Brian McKnight song with Romani lyrics. Like Bagárová, he got the studio time in exchange for volunteering.
The next step IQ Roma Servis will take with the project is to establish a café at the studio. It is expected to be staffed by young Romani people.
- Czech Republic: Amaro Records recording studio opens in Brno
- Czech Republic: Interest in tutoring for Romani children in Brno exceeds supply of volunteers
- Czech Republic: NGO starts risky recording studio on edge of Romani ghetto
- Czech nonprofit recording studio to combat social exclusion of young Roma
- On the 50th anniversary of Czechoslovakia's short-lived Union of Gypsies-Roma, community members recall its hopes
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- Czech city backtracks on scope of plan to house homeless, cutting the units to be offered by half
- 1 May march by Czech neo-Nazis was dispersed and torches were put out, but antisemitic abuse was expressed
- Czech city of Brno to see counter-protests against neo-Nazis again this year
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- VIDEO: Romani performer Věra Bílá is back with singer Jan Bendig and bandleader Milan Kroka
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic