Czech Republic: Another peace gathering against racism and violence scheduled
A group of concerned citizens has issued a declaration in response to the ongoing events in the Šluknov foothills. The authors call on everyone to support their declaration and participate in peaceful gatherings of citizens against racism and violence. The first such gathering will take place this Friday, 9 September 2011 at 18:00 in the "Na Kopečku" Evangelical Church in Rumburk on Krásnolipská street. In their statement, the authors of this petition write that they are aware that many residents are angered by the current social situation in the Šluknov district. However, they do not agree with hateful, violent displays aimed against all Romani people like the displays that have regularly occurred at each demonstration or gathering of citizens that has taken place in various parts of the district during recent weeks.
Light for Šluknov district - citizens of Šluknov district against racism and violence
We are outraged by the development of the situation in Šluknov district. We reject racism in all its manifestations, violence, terror, the principle of collective guilt, and the one-sided interpretation of the situation by some media outlets inciting racism.
We call for a solution to the social situation that will be long-term, non-violent, and well-conceived. We also call on towns and villages to cooperate with experienced partners, experts, and nonprofit organizations on finding that solution.
We want hope and peace for all inhabitants of Šluknov district.
Pavel and Monika Lampovi, Dolní Poustevna
Robert Ferenc, Krásná Lípa
Albert Demeter, Rumburk
Filip and Constance Šimonovští, Rumburk
Marcela Surmajová, Horní Podluží
Hana Volfová, Krásná Lípa
Rostislav Souček, Rumburk
Roman Winter, Rumburk
Natálie Barcalová, Šluknov
Filip Šimonovský, Evangelical clergy, Rumburk
You can sign the declaration here: http://www.petice24.com/svetlo_pro_sluknovsko
Invitation to gather
We invite you to the first of our peaceful meetings of citizens against racism and violence.
WHEN: Friday 9 September 2011 at 18:00
WHERE: The "Na Kopečku" Evangelical Church, Rumburk, Krásnolipská street.
Come support our voice and contribute your own. Come light a candle so the light of hope will continue to travel.
- Czech Republic marks five years since the anti-Romani unrest in the Šluknov foothills
- Czech court sends anti-Romani rabble rouser to prison for fraud
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion accuses paper of anti-Romani campaign
- Help Romea.cz win support from Vodafone
- Czech Republic and "gypsies" - 1938 vs. 2012
- Czech Republic: Equal Opportunities Party to protest local-level anti-Romani moves
- Czech mayor: Romani people face lynching unless rape suspect taken into custody
- Czech municipality gets tough on Ostrava ghetto residents again
- Czech Republic: Proud Romani students in IT, medicine, and natural sciences
- Prosecutor: Czechs started last year's brawl with Romani people in Rumburk
- Roma Pride 2012 marches through the center of Prague
- Czech Republic: 70 ultra-rightists march on Romani neighborhood