Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
Jiří Maria Sieber, a candidate for the Czech Senate from the Order of the Nation (Řád národa) political movement, has reported on his Facebook page that Romani people are allegedly leasing very expensive LED light bulbs from the RWE power utility for which the "welfare office" reimburses them. Allegedly the Romani ratepayers then immediately pawn the light bulbs in order to improve their financial situations.
News server Romea.cz contacted the Labor Office to verify the allegations. That state body says the charges are absurd and that the story is a hoax.
Energy-saving bulbs for less... at the pawnshop?
"Several people have contacted me to say that the Gypsies are selling very expensive energy-saving light bulbs cheaply in the bazaars for CZK 50 [EUR 1.85] each. This is a new way to raise money," Sieber writes on his Facebook profile, where he alleges that Romani people are acquiring the bulbs by leasing them from RWE.
"What's so magical about selling energy-saving bulbs?" he asks rhetorically, and immediately explains. "Their electricity, just like their gas, rent and water, is paid for them by the welfare office, or rather, by the Labor Office, so it's all the same to them how much they pay for electricity when basically they get it for free. As a bonus, they get these expensive, energy-saving light bulbs, which they then sell cheaply. After the 24 months of their lease expires on the bulbs, they have the option of buying the bulbs for CZK 1 each. However, nobody monitors whether what is being used in their apartments are actually these expensive, leased bulbs, or ordinary light bulbs," Sieber posted to Facebook in mid-August, spreading yet another absurdity aimed against Romani people.
Czech Labor Office: We do not pay anybody to lease light bulbs
"It is true that, for the purposes of calculating housing benefits, energy costs are taken into account; such costs are, of course, limited, and the applicable legislation establishes which energy costs can be taken into consideration when calculating benefits. The lease of light bulbs is not one of those costs," Kateřina Beránková, press spokesperson for the Labor Office of the Czech Republic, told news server Romea.cz.
The most efficient light bulb that RWE leases costs CZK 13,90 per month, and the lease contract for such a bulb is usually concluded for 24 months, so it costs a total of CZK 334. Logically, it follows that even if Romani people, or anybody else, were to sell such a light bulb for CZK 50, they would still have to pay the remaining CZK 284 to lease it because their housing benefits would not cover the cost.
In the context of electricity costs, the Czech Labor and Social Affairs Ministry has previously refuted a hoax alleging that the state was being cheated because deposits for electricity were being artificially increased. "Romani people" were supposed to receive higher benefits as a result of that alleged "trick" as well.
This is not the first time that Sieber has disseminated hoaxes about Romani people during his campaign. A couple of weeks back he published another hoax alleging that Romani people were receiving washing machines for free as part of welfare and that they were taking them to pawn shops immediately, unopened and untouched.
- Czech-language hoaxes deceive online with footage from feature films and news reports
- Czech-language Internet again spreading hoax about "free medicine for Roma"
- Czech-language online hoax alleging Prague terrorist attack now spreading among Slovaks and stealing Facebook passwords
- Czech Republic: Politician spreads hoax that Roma get washing machines for free
- Czech-language online hoax alleges terrorist attack in Prague in order to steal personal data
- The online hoax phenomenon and how to address it
- Czech-language internet users, Roma included, fall for debunked hoax about mass wedding of adults and children
- Czech Republic: Anti-refugee hoax online after gas station attendants mistake Roma from Slovakia for "refugees"
- EU Justice Ministers call on Facebook to be stricter about removing hoaxes and threats
- Yet another Czech tabloid news server perpetrates a racist hoax
- Czech Republic: HateFree Culture project refutes online hoaxes about refugees
- UK: Right-wing extremists use social networks to propagandize through kidnapping hoax
- Czech tabloid report on Romani political party may be a hoax
- Hoax party ridicules Czech Christian Democrat leader Cunek
- Slovakia: Romani barber builds salon in small town despite local prejudices
- Czech Police arrest two Romani men for attack on police, confirm media exaggerated the incident
- Traffickers in poverty in the Czech Republic have a new trick for not losing their profitable business model
- Analysis: Czech housing benefits keep people's heads above water
- Controversial Czech housing estate in the hands of foreign nationals: Russians big fans of trafficking in poverty there
- Czech historian reminds public that cruel abuse was perpetrated at concentration camp for Roma in Moravia
- Czech Police officer explains why he donated to Romani Scholarships
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
- Czech survey finds youth are more prejudiced against minorities than their elders
- Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies
- Director of Terezín Initiative Institute says Czech schools don't teach enough about Romani people
- Czech senators want Constitutional Court to address housing benefit legislation
Tags:Hoax, Předsudky, Romani people, Sociální dávky, Labor Office
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.