Czech Republic: RomanoNet condemns barbaric attack by Russia on Ukraine, expresses support to Roma and all inhabitants of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and independence
The Russian Army launched an air and ground offensive on neighboring Ukraine this morning. Many cities all over Ukraine are reporting strong explosions, and the Office of the President of Ukraine reports heavy fighting is underway near Kharkov. The pro-Roma and Romani organizations belonging to the RomanoNet umbrella organization have called the attack by the Russian Federation on Ukraine barbaric and condemn it.
At the same time, RomanoNet expresses support for Romani men and women and all other inhabitants of Ukraine. News server Romea.cz is publishing the RomanoNet statement here in full translation:
Declaration by RomanoNet on Russia's attack on Ukraine
The organizations that are members in the RomanoNet umbrella organization condemn the barbaric attack by the Russian Federation on Ukraine. Approximately 260 000 Romani men and women live in Ukraine today.
RomanoNet expresses support to them and to all other inhabitants of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and independence, which is happening on such unequal terms. "The Romani men and women in Ukraine already face poverty and discrimination, as they do in many other countries," said RomanoNet director Michal Miko.
"The war will worsen their situations even more. They will be pushed even more to the outskirts of society," Miko said.
"We call on everybody to uphold international humanitarian law and fundamental human rights," Miko said. RomanoNet calls on the Czech Government to provide aid to any eventual refugees from Ukraine irrespective of their nationality.
RomanoNet calls on Romani men and women in the Czech Republic not to be influenced by propaganda from Russia and not to spread the lies that are currently going viral on social media, as these lies are being shared by people who recently were attacking Romani people instead. Those who can afford to do so can contribute to support for Ukraine through the following collections:
- People in Need: https://www.darujme.cz/projekt/648
- The Czech Red Cross: https://www.darujspravne.cz/daruj/castku/pomozte-ukrajine
- Post Bellum: https://www.darujme.cz/projekt/1205934
- Caritas Czech Republic: https://svet.charita.cz/podporte-nas-hprs/charita-pro- ukrajinu/
Members of RomanoNet:
- Awen Amenca, z. s.
- IQ Roma servis, o. p. s.
- Khamoro o. p. s.
- Otevření společnost, o. p. s.
- Romano jasnica, spolek
- ROMEA, o. p. s.
- Romodrom, o. p. s.
- Slovo 21, z. s.
- Společně - Jekhetane, o. p. s.
- Vzájemné soužití, o. p. s.
- In Russian debut, Romani kickboxer Sivák of the Czech Republic brilliantly delivers victory over Russian fighter Mikhailov
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Russia calls for investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš after intervention by police in Teplice
- Russia claims to be "concerned" about the very neo-Nazis they support in the Czech Republic
- Disinformation about COVID-19 in Czech first spread from Russian server, according to new analysis
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Russia designates Czech aid group People in Need an "undesirable organization"
- Czech counter-intelligence disrupted Russian hacker spies and Hezbollah network, warns ultra-right targeting of Muslims could contribute to radicalization
- Russia: Mayor says 900 Romani residents relocated after fatal conflict - but were they forced to?
- VIDEO: Attacks on Roma in Russia apparently continued with arson
- Russia: Youth conflict sparks bloodshed, attempted pogrom against Roma has fatal outcome
- Commentary: Czech ultra-right politicians singing in harmony, and Russia likes it
- Russian military television grossly exaggerates Czech turnout for anti-EU demonstration
- Facebook closes some disinformation pages covertly associated with Russia
- Russian social network blocks "Miss Hitler" beauty contest after Israeli media contact
- Russia: The World Cup begins with concerns about homophobia, racism, and violence
- Controversial Czech housing estate in the hands of foreign nationals: Russians big fans of trafficking in poverty there
- Sweden: Three neo-Nazis charged with committing bomb attacks after training in Russia
- Czech Republic: ROMEA calls for boycott of performances by Romani group and Russian military ensemble, rejects Russian propaganda
- Czech Interior Minister: Romani refugees from Ukraine are not a threat, they are the worst-afflicted by this crisis, we can atone for the hardship we have caused them
- Czech Police and Romani nonprofits have begun informing homeless Romani refugees from Ukraine at Prague's main train station of their options
- US President Biden condemns white supremacist terrorist attack in Buffalo, New York that murdered 10 people
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Government should collaborate more with experts and offer refugee families in tents dignified aid
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech civic organization Konexe celebrates 10th anniversary and Roma Resistance Day in Prague with discussion about Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Caritas branch objects to Romani political party's critique of aid to Romani refugees from Ukraine, party stands by its allegations
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!