Czech Republic's Vietnamese community gives free face masks and refreshments to emergency responders, firefighters, police and others
Hundreds of Vietnamese-owned shops featuring the symbol of a heart are offering free refreshments to members of the Army, health care services, police officers and others providing aid to the public during the COVID-19 pandemic, assistance for people on the front line who have to be constantly in personal contact with others and don't have much time to grab a snack. In order to make this form of help for people from the Integrated Emergency Services (IZS) easily recognizable, a symbol had to be used that emergency responders, firefighters, police and soldiers would recognize as inviting them for free refreshments.
"We came up with a little heart. Hundreds of retailers who want to assist the IZS units responded," said the initiator of the call to action, Tran Van Sang.
"I believe a retailer who has joined can be found in any town," he said. Despite the fact that Vietnamese people throughout the country were hearing remarks from others at the beginning of the epidemic when they wore face masks, today they are doing their best to get involved with aiding others to be able to protect themselves.
Even before the idea to provide free refreshments there was a Facebook group set up for volunteer seamstresses from the Vietnamese community. An association of Vietnamese parents, "Lam Cha Me CZ", established the group to produce homemade face masks.
Generally speaking, the crisis measures taken by the Czech Government and the lack of protective gear in a pandemic context has, in many cases, kick-started attempts by different civil society organizations and communities to get involved in providing aid. Beneath the slogan "All of Czechia is Sewing", people have begun to sew face masks at home, as have firms that have retrofitted their sewing machines for this purpose.
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- European Roma and Travellers Forum President makes statement about COVID-19 pandemic, thanks health care professionals
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Disinformation about COVID-19 in Czech first spread from Russian server, according to new analysis
- Czech bill would make it possible to apply for unemployment benefits electronically in order to prevent COVID-19 spread
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma: We don't want closed settlements, testing residents for COVID-19 will prevent repressive measures
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Romani residents of Czech town organize collection for child welfare NGO to fight COVID-19, dozens pitch in
- Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows