Czech Republic: ARA ART exhibition features art photography of male nudes
As part of the Prague Pride week festival celebrating the LGBT community, the ARA ART organization is opening its third exhibition in the series organized by its Gallery Phundaro Vudar. The exhibition features work by a young photographer of Romani origin, Milan Junek, who specializes in art photography including nudes.
Curator Věra Duždová has called the exhibition "Oppression – Depression – Passion". The title came from the images in Junek's portfolio.
"Milan Junek calls himself an amateur photographer, but his works are characterized by an enormous depth and sensitivity that manages to capture the intimate experiences of what is otherwise a very closed community," Duždová said. The exhibition will run from 11 August until 21 September at the recently-opened Gallery Phundaro Vudar, which is located at Café Souterrain on Bělehradská Street in Prague 2.
The exhibition will open tomorrow, Thursday, 11 August at 19:30. "ARA ART is the only organization that has long been dedicated to the issue of the LGBT minority inside the Romani community in the Czech Republic. We have worked with the community through regular conferences, meetings, workshops and other creative activities since 2012 and we have had several opportunities to verify for ourselves that it is precisely these three emotions - oppression, depression and passion - that capture the essence of what people experience when they suffer from multiple discrimination," said David Tišer, the director of ARA ART.
Gallery Phundaro Vudar has already held two previous exhibitions, one called "Invisible Roma", which focused on Czech-Romani coexistence and Romani themes, and "Art from the Drawer", which introduced young amateur artists from the Romani community. Last year ARA ART won an award on the occasion of the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia for its workshop with LGBT Romani community members.
Milan Junek (born 17 January 1976) was originally trained as a landscaper. He began to take photographs five years ago.
Junek's photographic work primarily focuses on figural photography, male and female nude art photography, and portraits. The models he photographs are his own acquaintances and friends from his immediate neighborhood.
The photographs are set in interesting natural scenery or in the recesses of abandoned industrial architecture. Junek approaches the arrangement of the models' poses in a non-violent, original way.
- KHAMORO 2016 in its 18th year - concerts, exhibitions, seminars, theater and much more
- Czech Republic: Unique exhibition reviews postwar memories of migrant Romani workers
- Czech Republic: Romani association ARA ART wins prize for workshop supporting the LGBT community
- Czech exhibition maps little-known history of those who survived Nazi concentration camps
- Exhibition on postwar migration of Roma to the Czech Republic
- "I was born in your bed": Czech town presents Venice Biennale exhibition on Roma
- Exhibition maps Romani image in Czech media and the modern history of Jewish and Romani people
- Czech Republic: Exhibition on Roma genocide travels to Třebíč
- Exhibition in Lidice on the pre-war life of Czech Roma
- A Roma Journey, an exciting new web exhibition from The European Library
- Slovakia opens its first permanent exhibition on Romany minority
- Anarchists open exhibition on neo-Nazi victims in Czech town
- Czech Romanies stage exhibition to mark Roma Day
- Group of Women Harmed by Sterilisation launches exhibition at the Council of Europe
- Prague exhibition to present life of original Czech Romanies
- Photo exhibition commemorates tragic fate of Romanies
- An exhibition “Watch out, gypsies!
- Exhibition “The Holocaust Against Roma and Sinti”
- Exhibition in NY Czech Centre shows successful Czech Romanies
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- VIDEO: Czech Police prevent neo-Nazis from assaulting Prague Pride participants
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Richard Samko's message to the late singer Věra Bílá: Me, nikda nazabisterav, palikerav tumege
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romafuturismo Library moves to northern Czech town of Most with new name: The Josef Serinek Library