Czech Republic: ARA ART launches campaign to support LGBT Roma
The ARA ART organization has launched a campaign to support Romani gays and lesbians who face hateful, homophobic, racist or vulgar abuse. The association has published a brief video online in which Romani gays and lesbians talk about what it meant to them to come out about their sexual orientation.
The aim of the video, according to the organizers, is to bolster the self-confidence of LGBT Roma. "Romani gays and lesbians are a minority within a minority. They are subjected to triple discrimination - first on the basis of their ethnic origin, then on the basis of their sexual orientation, and because they are not heterosexual, they are excluded from the Romani community," ARA ART campaign organizers say.
The web page on the group's website for the "Řeknu.to" ("I'll say it") project is, according to ARA ART, a place for Romani gays and lesbians to express themselves freely. Gays and lesbians or their parents can contact counselors about the issue through the website.
The project is financed by the Open Society Foundations and aims to bolster the self-confidence of LGBT Roma. ARA ART is an association of young people involved in artistic creation and organizing cultural events with a social dimension and overlap.
The group is primarily involved in musical and theatrical productions. Besides general cultural and social activities, ARA ART's particular subject matter is that of LGBT Roma and the issue of triple discrimination.
- Prague Pride 2016: LGBT community dances through Prague, Roma in the parade too
- Czech Republic: Terezín Commission refuses NGO request to officially fly the LGBTQ and Romani flags during commemoration
- Czech Republic: 11 organizations call on Terezín to fly the LGBTQ and Romani flags during traditional commemoration
- Czech Republic: Romani association ARA ART wins prize for workshop supporting the LGBT community
- Czech conservatives, neo-Nazis to protest LGBT pride event tomorrow
- Czech LGBT festival to feature Romani evening
- Prague Pride 2014 offers 100+ events and support for the LGBT community in Eastern Europe
- Commentary: LGBT people of all races, unite!
- Czech Republic: Romani LGBT people denied entry to nightclub
- MEPs agree greater protections for LGBTI rights
- Prague Pride to focus on LGBT members of Romani community
- Commentary by Romani LGBT activist David Tišer on "homosexual prostitution"
- Czech politician appeals sentence for his hateful remarks about minorities
- EU Justice Commissioner kicks up her heels in Brussels after Romani theater performance from the Czech Republic
- Czech celebrations of International Romani Day head to Brussels with theater performance
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day continue, contingent from Brno coming for a surprise event
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- Exhibition called "Gays, don't touch the Roma flag!" opens for Prague Pride
- Third international Romani LGBTI conference discusses homophobia in non-Romani and Romani society
- Czech Republic: Romani child adopted by a non-Romani family tells his story
- Renata Berkyová: Gays, hands off the Romani flag!
- VIDEO: Romani Gallery Phundaro Vudar - "Oppression-Depression-Passion"