Czech Republic: ARA ART launches campaign to support LGBT Roma
The ARA ART organization has launched a campaign to support Romani gays and lesbians who face hateful, homophobic, racist or vulgar abuse. The association has published a brief video online in which Romani gays and lesbians talk about what it meant to them to come out about their sexual orientation.
The aim of the video, according to the organizers, is to bolster the self-confidence of LGBT Roma. "Romani gays and lesbians are a minority within a minority. They are subjected to triple discrimination - first on the basis of their ethnic origin, then on the basis of their sexual orientation, and because they are not heterosexual, they are excluded from the Romani community," ARA ART campaign organizers say.
The web page on the group's website for the "Řeknu.to" ("I'll say it") project is, according to ARA ART, a place for Romani gays and lesbians to express themselves freely. Gays and lesbians or their parents can contact counselors about the issue through the website.
The project is financed by the Open Society Foundations and aims to bolster the self-confidence of LGBT Roma. ARA ART is an association of young people involved in artistic creation and organizing cultural events with a social dimension and overlap.
The group is primarily involved in musical and theatrical productions. Besides general cultural and social activities, ARA ART's particular subject matter is that of LGBT Roma and the issue of triple discrimination.
- Prague Pride 2016: LGBT community dances through Prague, Roma in the parade too
- Czech Republic: Terezín Commission refuses NGO request to officially fly the LGBTQ and Romani flags during commemoration
- Prague Pride to focus on LGBT members of Romani community
- Commentary by Romani LGBT activist David Tišer on "homosexual prostitution"
- LGBT+ members of Romani communities were part of Prague Pride this year, activists introduced program to aid people experiencing multiple discrimination
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- Czech LGBT Romani activist says LGBT Roma are used to being scorned, but have their allies as well
- David Tišer tells Romani actor he has given Czech society a product full of stereotypes - and no explanation why
- Online Romanes-language video calls on Roma to declare Romani nationality during the Czech census
- Czech court fines man for setting rainbow flag on fire, stays silent on homophobic motivation; he says it wasn't him and appeals
- Czech Romani group objects to reading names of Holocaust victims who were Romani, those organizing commemorations disagree
- Evening commemoration of European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day 2 August in Czech capital - Leperiben: We Do Not Forget
- Czech Republic's International Romani Day celebrations online: ARA ART holds gala evening "From One Living Room to Another"
- Czech politician appeals sentence for his hateful remarks about minorities
- EU Justice Commissioner kicks up her heels in Brussels after Romani theater performance from the Czech Republic
- Czech celebrations of International Romani Day head to Brussels with theater performance