romea - logo
July 5, 2015
romano vodi - předplatné
Loading
extended search

Czech Republic: Brno city councilors condemn international neo-Nazi march on 1 May

Brno, 5.4.2011 19:55, (ROMEA)
ilustrační foto

Brno city councilors have passed a resolution condemning a parade that has been announced for 1 May in Brno by the Workers' Youth (Dělnická mládež - DM). The city council resolution openly states that the march is being organized by neo-Nazis and that it will be a "hate action against members of national minorities living in Brno" which aims to "spark conflicts, fear and tension".

The extremists have announced the parade for two separate routes, both of which were rejected by local authorities. A court, however, overturned those decisions. The city is therefore preparing for the march to take place.

The conveners of the march have officially called it a Labor Day celebration, but Martin Ander (Green Party - SZ), a city councilor and head of the city's Committee for National Minorities, has said it will be a rally by neo-Nazis from all over Central Europe. Moreover, the march means Brno will become the setting for such an enterprise for the third time in the last four years. "The web pages of Czech neo-Nazis and their illegal organization, National Resistance (Národní odpor - NO) are investing a lot of energy in calling on all promoters of neo-Nazism, including those abroad, to come to Brno on 1 May," Ander said.

The march has also been rejected by an initiative called "We Don't Want Neo-Nazis in Brno" (V Brně neonacisty nechceme). On its web pages, that group is calling on residents of Brno to join their initiative and to hang banners and posters against the neo-Nazi march on their balconies, on notice boards, and in the windows of their homes and shops.

On 1 May the initiative will hold a symbolic cultural protest event featuring performances by jugglers, non-Roma and Roma bands, spoken word artists, theater ensembles, and various personalities. There will also be arts workshops for parents with children, games, and snacks. "All organizers and performers are contributing to the program for free as volunteers. The place and program is being prepared. Follow our web page for news!" the organizers write.

The Municipal Police previously expressed their opposition to the neo-Nazi action for security reasons and proposed a change to the route of the march. The transport authority also expressed disagreement with it due to the necessity to restrict traffic, as did the state police, the city transport department, and the Brno-sever district's municipal authority. There are concerns that groups of people will clash because one of the announced march routes leads through the so-called "Bronx" of Brno, where many Roma people live.

ČTK, Gwendolyn Albert, Czech Press Agency, translated by Gwendolyn Albert
Views: 1625x

Related articles:

Tags:  

Czech republic



HEADLINE NEWS

--ilustrační foto--

Czech Interior Minister says police should know a gallows has no place in a democracy

3.7.2015 6:10
Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) is demanding an explanation from police leadership as to why they did not intervene against the participants in the recent demonstration against Islam and migration in the center of Prague who were carrying mock-ups of gallows. The minister said the police must be aware that neither death threats nor gallows have any place in a democracy.
 full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"

1.7.2015 22:12
A demonstration against immigration and quotas and in favor of the Czech Republic leaving the European Union was held this afternoon on Prague's Wenceslas Square, attended by approximately 700 people. After the opening remarks, protesters headed for the Office of the Government, ending the protest three hours later at around 20:00 CET.
 full story

--ilustrační foto--

Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved Jewish children from the Holocaust, has passed away

1.7.2015 19:20
Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Czechoslovak children from certain death in Nazi camps, has passed away at the age of 106. The Associated Press reports that Winton's son-in-law has announced the news.
 full story

Discussion:

Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.

More articles from category







Romano voďi

Romano voďi 12/2013

..
romea - logo