Czech Republic: Catholic clergy send words of support to Romani residents of Chanov housing estate
František Lízna, a dissident and priest, Jan Palacký, a doctor and missionary, and Brother Marek Janás have sent a letter to the Hate is No Solution initiative for them to read to the local Romani residents of Chanov this coming Saturday. News server Romea.cz is publishing it in full translation here.
Words of support from Catholic priests to the Romani residents of Chanov
"Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation." (Exodus 15:13)
Please allow us to express our support for the defense of the rights which are enjoyed by you and every other citizen of the Czech Republic. Allow us to express our support even though we cannot physically be with you.
As priests and votaries, we recognize that the resurrection of Jesus, which we will celebrate this Saturday evening, liberated human beings by breaking the bonds of death which imprisoned them. After God did everything He could for humanity, He left it up to us to follow through with His work by living our lives in mutual friendship and respect. Those who are terrorizing and threatening you are destroying the work of God's redemption, because every terrified tear shed by your children is "the tear of the wounded Christ". Those who decided to march into your neighborhood today are destroying humanity and this nation. They are sowing evil, hatred, and sorrow. We clearly say NO to them. We are with you and always will be.
Allow us to leave you with the words of theologian Jack Riemer:
We cannot merely pray to you O God to end war;For the World is made in such a wayThat we must find our own path of peaceWithin ourselves and with our neighbors.
We cannot merely pray to you O God to root out Prejudice:for we already have eyesWith which to see the good in all peopleIf we would only use them rightly.
We cannot merely pray to you O God to end starvation:For we already have the resourcesWith which to feed the entire WorldIf we would only use them wisely.
We cannot merely pray to you O God to end despair:For we already have the power to clear away slums and to give hopeIf we would only use our power justly.
We cannot merely pray to you O God to end disease:For we already have great mindsWith which to search out cures and healingsIf we would only use them constructively.
Therefore we pray insteadFor strength, determination, and will power,To do instead of merely to prayTo become instead of merely to wish:So that our World may be safe,And so that our lives may be blessed.
May Christ's peace and tranquility reign in your hearts and in your homes:
dissident and priest František Lízna, Society of Jesus
doctor and missionary Jan Palacký, Society of Jesus
Brother Marek Janás, Society of Jesus
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion accuses paper of anti-Romani campaign
- Help Romea.cz win support from Vodafone
- Czech Republic and "gypsies" - 1938 vs. 2012
- Czech Republic: Equal Opportunities Party to protest local-level anti-Romani moves
- Czech mayor: Romani people face lynching unless rape suspect taken into custody
- Czech municipality gets tough on Ostrava ghetto residents again
- Czech Republic: Proud Romani students in IT, medicine, and natural sciences
- Prosecutor: Czechs started last year's brawl with Romani people in Rumburk
- Roma Pride 2012 marches through the center of Prague
- Czech Republic: 70 ultra-rightists march on Romani neighborhood
- Czech Republic: Project commemorates postwar Romani labor
- European experts compare experiences working in socially excluded localities