Czech Republic: Commemoration of Romani victims of the Holocaust on 13 May at Lety Memorial
On Saturday, 13 May 2017, at the site of the Lety Memorial, the traditional commemorative ceremony honoring the Romani victims of the Holocaust will take place. The event is organized by the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust (Výbor pro odškodnění romského holokaustu - VPORH), which brings together former prisoners of Nazi camps and the relatives of victims who perished in them.
The commemorative ceremony at Lety has happened annually in mid-May for 22 years, ever since the memorial was unveiled by Czech President Václav Havel in the vicinity of the former Protectorate "gypsy camp" on 13 May 1995. "Allow us to invite you to the commemorative ceremony we are holding as usual at the site connected with the tragic fate of the indigenous Czech Roma and Sinti who fell victim to Nazism, during which we recall the immeasurable suffering of millions of human beings," the invitation reads.
VPORH is organizing a free round trip charter bus from Prague to Lety for those attending the ceremony: "The bus will be, as usual, parked in front of the main gate to the Florenc bus station in Prague, beneath the highway overpass, at the final stop for city bus 133, and will have a sign on it that says 'Lety'. Departure is at 10 AM."
It is possible to reserve a place on the bus by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or an SMS to phone number 603 247 617. The program of the day will be:
12:00 – Czech national anthem and the hymn of the Romani concentration camp prisoners
12:10 – Welcoming of participants
12:15 – Laying of wreaths at the memorial
13:10 – Prayer and sermon celebrated by Father Vojtěch Vágai
13:30 – Cultural program - Carlos Vlasak, member of the Sinti community
13:50 – Speeches
14:30 – Close of the official part of the ceremony, tour of the memorial. Those who would like to do so may accompany us to the village of Mirovice two kilometers away to lay flowers at the graves of the child victims of the concentration camp buried in the parish cemetery.
- Czech Human Rights Minister says Government might decide to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site in June
- Czech Human Rights Minister to focus on buying pig farm on Romani Holocaust site and employment of ghetto residents in 2017
- Czech Republic: Romani Holocaust survivors' association chair says he has no reason to doubt pig farm will go
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Čeněk Růžička on lower house refusing to strip MP of immunity for remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma: They're playing with fire
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech lower house committee does not recommend stripping MP of immunity over denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech Police propose indicting two men who desecrated memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Roma testimonies recall their families' Holocaust suffering
- Poland: Ultra-nationalists troll Auschwitz commemoration for the first time ever