Czech Republic: Commemorative ceremony 13 May at Romani Holocaust site at Lety
Please allow us, in the name of the surviving prisoners of the Nazi concentration camps and the relatives of the victims, to invite you to this year's commemorative ceremony at Lety. For the community of indigenous Czech Roma and Sinti, this ceremony is a significant event, an opportunity to honor our predecessors who fell victim to Nazism, as well as to remind the majority society that we exist and have always been a part of the history of this Czech nation of ours for 600 years of the history of the Czech lands.
This commemorative ceremony has established its own tradition and its place on the calendars of state ambassadors to the Czech Republic, leading figures in culture and politics, the victims' relatives, church representatives, representatives of Jewish organizations, representatives of other clubs and organizations, the media, and many other people. This is an occasion on which Romani people also express their desires and wishes.
The ceremony is conducted in the dignified spirit of Romani veneration of the deceased and in a friendly atmosphere. This year's commemoration will be special, as it will feature a performance by the nationally diverse children's orchestra of the Harmony Foundation (Nadační fond Harmonie), which fulfills the El Sistema vision of musical education using the perfection of music to improve the lives of children and society.
There is a walking trail featuring information signs that leads from the town of Lety to the burial site of the victims where the ceremony will be held, a 1.5 km route that the prisoners themselves walked to reach the Lety Concentration Camp. Parking is available for buses and personal vehicles on the grounds of the memorial and there are restrooms available there.
On behalf of the relatives of the victims,
Transport free of charge from Prague to Lety and back by bus
Departure: 10:00 AM in front of the main entrance to the Praha – Florenc bus station beneath the highway overpass. The charter bus will be parked at the final stop for city bus route no. 133 (behind the building of the Museum of the Capital City of Prague).
The bus has limited capacity, so please reserve your seats by writing to email@example.com or calling +420 603 247 617.
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner: I support the creation of a Government Commissioner for Romani Minority Affairs
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech website on the Holocaust launches database of victims labeled "cikáni" by the Nazis and their accomplices
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST AT 11 AM: Winning design for future memorial at former concentration camp for Roma to be unveiled in Prague