Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
International Romani Day, which falls on 8 April, is annually celebrated with many concerts, festivals and other gatherings in the Czech Republic. This year's celebrations, however, are being interrupted by a Government measure aiming to avoid the further dissemination of the disease caused by the coronavirus.
Such celebrations include, for example, the International Romani Day events in Ostrava or the celebrations organized by the ARA ART association in Prague. Thousands of people annually attend these events in the Czech Republic and it is, therefore, essential to at least postpone them.
"For the time being we are postponing our celebration of International Romani Day. We will follow the further development of the situation and inform people of the eventual rescheduling on our website and through Facebook," David Tišer, the director of ARA ART, told Romea.cz.
Last year the ARA ART celebrations were held on 8 April at the Archa theater in Prague. The Romani Student Movement in Ostrava has also posted a video to their Facebook profile informing the public that they are cancelling a concert to celebrate International Romani Day that was scheduled for 4 April 2020 there.
"We brought a new tradition to Ostrava. We will maintain that tradition. If it not in April, then on another date," said Vladimír Čermák, chair of the Romani Student Movement.
International Romani Day celebrations in Břeclav and other cities are also cancelled. As Romea.cz reported yesterday, the Museum of Romani Culture is also closed.
Given that the Czech Government has announced a state of emergency, the country will be functioning for at least 30 days in safe mode. It is clear, therefore, that no social events will be organized for at least a month.
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: More than 3 000 Roma celebrate International Romani Day on a square in Ostrava
- Czech celebrations of International Romani Day head to Brussels with theater performance
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day continue, contingent from Brno coming for a surprise event
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- Two men in Czech Republic indicted for approving of neo-Nazi terrorism in Christchurch, New Zealand
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Coronavirus: Three Lessons for International Roma Day
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Czech Republic's International Romani Day celebrations online: ARA ART holds gala evening "From One Living Room to Another"