Czech Republic: Demonstrations for and against receiving migrants in Ostrava
Opponents and proponents of the reception of migrants demonstrated on Saturday afternoon in Ostrava, the third-largest city in the Czech Republic. A total of approximately 200 people on either side assembled at two different locations in the city.
The events took place without any clashes. Police kept the two groups apart.
At the demonstration held by ultra-right parties, former Czech MP and chair of the Republican Party Miroslav Sládek addressed the crowd. He also attempted to address those demonstrating in favor of receiving migrants.
Sládek did not succeed in addressing that demonstration as well. Tomáš Kužel, director of the Moravian-Silesian Regional Police, told the Czech News Agency that several dozen constables and police officers were involved in providing security for the two events.
When Sládek attempted to walk through the assembly of those in favor of receiving migrants, it sparked some mild excitement. "I'm just going to walk through there," the former MP argued to the police officers maintaining the peace.
Police ultimately let him pass by in close proximity to those demonstrating in favor of receiving migrants. Sládek attempted to address them, to no avail.
The former MP ultimately left the scene. The ultra-right radicals then marched to Ostrava City Hall on Prokešovo Square, where organizers officially ended the event.
Several smaller groups of of their people then attempted to return to the Hus Orchard area, where those in favor of migrant reception were assembled. Police prevented any eventual clashes in that part of town.
- Czech Republic: Building owner demolishing controversial properties on Přednádraží Street in Ostrava
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- COMMENTARY: Trump's bucket of filth
- Once persecuted, the Salesians have run programs unlike any others for Romani children for 30 years in third-largest Czech city
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them