Czech Republic: Documentary "Shadows of the Romani Holocaust" marks a sad anniversary
On 10 July 1942 the commander of the plainclothes police of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia issued the so-called "Decree on Suppressing the Gypsy Nuisance". On that basis, following the model of the leader of the SS for the Nazi German Reich, the Czech authorities compiled a list of "Gypsies, Gypsy Half-Breeds and persons living in the Gypsy way" which radically changed the lives of the Romani people then living in the Czech lands.
The disciplinary labor camp at Lety by Písek was subsequently changed into a "Gypsy camp" and served as an assembly point from which those imprisoned were sent to their deaths at Auschwitz. A total of 420 prisoners from Lety passed through the gates of that death camp, while several hundred more perished at the camp in Lety before they could be transported to Auschwitz.
This brief documentary film about the former camp at Lety and the current state of the site where it once stood was filmed in 2014 by Renata Berkyová under the supervision of experienced filmmakers from the USA as part of a joint project between the ROMEA organization and Transitions Online. The film is a testament to the losses and pain from this past that still remain unresolved.
- Czech Republic: Pig farm at Lety will apparently remain on Romani Holocaust site, talks are going nowhere
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Speech by Miroslav Brož at Lety by Písek
- Czech Republic: "Romani Resistance Days" to involve symbolic blockade of Lety pig farm, protest in Prague
- Czech Republic: Traditional commemoration of the Romani victims of Nazism next week at Lety by Písek
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Documentary on WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic screening TONIGHT ONLINE
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- Holocaust survivors and remembrance organizations object to how younger generation is using TikTok to commemorate victims
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Czech Republic sees many events commemorating the 1968 occupation of Czechoslovakia - Romani man was among those killed, other Roma joined the protests
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated