Czech Republic: Documentary "Shadows of the Romani Holocaust" marks a sad anniversary
On 10 July 1942 the commander of the plainclothes police of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia issued the so-called "Decree on Suppressing the Gypsy Nuisance". On that basis, following the model of the leader of the SS for the Nazi German Reich, the Czech authorities compiled a list of "Gypsies, Gypsy Half-Breeds and persons living in the Gypsy way" which radically changed the lives of the Romani people then living in the Czech lands.
The disciplinary labor camp at Lety by Písek was subsequently changed into a "Gypsy camp" and served as an assembly point from which those imprisoned were sent to their deaths at Auschwitz. A total of 420 prisoners from Lety passed through the gates of that death camp, while several hundred more perished at the camp in Lety before they could be transported to Auschwitz.
This brief documentary film about the former camp at Lety and the current state of the site where it once stood was filmed in 2014 by Renata Berkyová under the supervision of experienced filmmakers from the USA as part of a joint project between the ROMEA organization and Transitions Online. The film is a testament to the losses and pain from this past that still remain unresolved.
- Czech Republic: Pig farm at Lety will apparently remain on Romani Holocaust site, talks are going nowhere
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Speech by Miroslav Brož at Lety by Písek
- Czech Republic: "Romani Resistance Days" to involve symbolic blockade of Lety pig farm, protest in Prague
- Czech Republic: Traditional commemoration of the Romani victims of Nazism next week at Lety by Písek
- Czech Republic: Commemorative ceremony 13 May at Romani Holocaust site at Lety
- Czech Republic: Visiting season opens at Lety memorial
- Karel Holomek: Who "discovered" the Romani camp at Lety?
- Czech wartime superhero "returns" to criticize Lety pig farm
- Czech Republic: Lety pig farm remembered at entrance to Terezín
- Former Czech Foreign Minister does not believe his father was involved with the Lety camp
- Czech MP faces first criminal charges over remarks about Lety concentration camp
- Jana Horváthová: Hodonín and Lety functioned as concentration camps
- Czech Culture Minister wants to solve the problem of the pig farm at Lety
- Czech Republic: Activists blockading pig farm at Lety where WWII-era camp for Roma once stood
- European Center of Romani Music production about Lety concentration camp for Romani people
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- Czech archaeological survey confirms human remains are located in the vicinity of current memorial to WWII-era concentration camp for Roma
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Archaeological survey continues at site of former concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Czech Communist Party chair alleges pork is expensive because the farm on the former concentration camp for Roma was closed, but statistics show he is lying
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Czech design competition for memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma/Sinti origin opens in September, winner to be announced in the spring
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival