Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off
Czech news servers Blesk.cz and TN.cz have reported that police from the town of Česká Lípa are investigating the incredible case of a driver who ran into a nine-year-old Romani boy in a crosswalk and then began shouting racist abuse at him instead of summoning medical help. He also shouted insults at the boy's mother, who barely escaped being hit by the car herself.
The young man then drove off and ran a red light at another intersection. He later turned himself in to the police.
The driver now faces up to one year in prison. The accident was filmed by a CCTV system.
The incident happened in the center of Česká Lípa when Ms Gáborová was bringing her son Kevin to school. "He crashed right into my leg. It still hurts now," the boy described to TN.cz.
"He told us we were 'fucking cikáni'," the boy's mother told TN.cz. The boy confirmed that.
"He cursed us out as 'black mambas' and 'cikánští faggots'," the boy described. The driver then fled the scene.
The boy's mother was so shaken that she did not know what to do at that moment. Passers-by converging on the scene called the police.
"An ambulance drove up and brought us to the hospital. He didn't feel well, so they had him lie down," the mother told TV NOVA.
The CCTV footage shows the driver pulling away and committing the misdemeanor of running the red light. "He left the scene of the accident and then ran a red light at the next intersection," Milan Bradáč of the Česká Lípa traffic inspectorate told TV NOVA.
The 19-year-old driver turned himself in at a police station some time later. "He admitted running into the boy in the crosswalk but accused the boy of being to blame. He absolutely denied having expressed himself in racist terms to the young pedestrian and his mother and also denied having run the red light at the next intersection," police spokesperson Ivana Baláková told news server Blesk.cz.
Footage from the CCTV camera at the intersection of Děčínská and Sokolská Streets, of course, is evidence of the fact that the driver left the scene of the accident and ran the red light. If convicted, he faces up to one year in prison.
- Czech student resigns from academic senate after his racist past is revealed
- Czech intelligence: Right-wing extremists return to anti-Roma rhetoric, public tolerance of racism and xenophobia in politics rising
- Czech court acquits man of using force against two racists who insulted him
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Czech racists spread their annual summertime lies about free entry to swimming pools for Romani people
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion distances itself from group led by candidate for party using racist slogan
- Czech candidate for party that used racist slogan now works for new group aiding Roma
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Slovakia's Romani settlements are very endangered by the COVID-19 pandemic, some have no access to potable water
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital