Czech Republic: Ecumenical prayer against Islamophobes to take place in České Budějovice tomorrow
Tomorrow, Saturday 14 March, the "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic" initiative will hold yet another demonstration, this time on Přemysl Otakar II. Square in the town of České Budějovice. In the Facebook announcement of the event, organizers led by Martin Konvička are tempting people to come by saying the event will feature the sale of propaganda items and refreshments and are attempting to ensure a big turnout by arranging for participants to drive there together.
The event will take place exactly one month after a previous such demonstration in Brno. As in Brno, there will also be a "counter-demonstration" tomorrow called "Don't Let Fear Dictate Our Actions" (Nenechme si diktovat strachem).
The counter-demonstration is not an event convened by political entities. Its organizers are calling on their Facebook page for an "ecumenical prayer for peaceful coexistence of all people irrespective of ethnicity, faith, nationality or political convictions" and for a discussion on the topic of religious extremism to take place afterward at the Horká Vana cultural club.
Only 100 people have confirmed their attendance on Facebook at the "counter-demonstration" compared to 700 confirmed demonstrators for the "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic" action. Two opposing demonstrations on the topic of Islam also took place in Prague in January.
Czech Senator Tomio Okamura appeared at the Prague demonstration of "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic" and called on participants to defend the Czech Republic against the ideology of Islam, which he claims is incompatible with democratic principles. The counter-demonstration in Prague by an anti-hate association included Romani activist Ivana Čonková and the evangelicaly clergyman Mikuláš Vymětal, who jointly held a so-called Czech-Romani flag, as a result of which they were taken to a police station.
- Expert says Czech society's discussion of Islam is the worst in Europe
- Czech Republic: Even other Islamophobes reject the DSSS
- Czech Republic: Ultra-right demonstration against "Islamization" to be counter-protested
- Czech Republic: Islamophobic demonstration greeted by counter-protest
- Czech Republic: Romea.cz survey on Romani people and Islam
- Czech Republic: Two demos tomorrow, one against "Islamic immigration" and one against xenophobia
- Czech extremism report: Islamophobic group uses cyber-bullying
- Czech MP didn't see neo-Nazis at anti-Islamic demo, but Romea.cz did!
- Czech Republic: Protests against Islam and for religious freedom in front of Prague Castle
- Czech-language Facebook page slanders Romani organizations as anti-Islam
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech protest against new ombudsman marches through second-largest city
- Czech demonstration for democratic institutions objects to new ombudsman, politicians' efforts to control public broadcasting
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- PHOTO ESSAY Yet another protest against fascist party in Slovakia, Roma turned out as well
- BBC reports Twitter makes it possible to target ads at members of hate groups or teens with eating disorders
- Memorial service for Czech civic activist tomorrow in Prague, event in her honor next week
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Germany: 9.5 year sentence for murder that sparked demonstrations last year, convicted suspect insists he did not do it
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year