ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) announced today that it has filed a collective complaint against the Czech Republic with the European Committee of Social Rights, which is responsible for ensuring that States comply with the provisions of the European Social Charter.
The complaint is one of the first ever lodged before the Committee against the Czech Republic addressing discrimination against members of the Romani minority.
The ERTF alleges that Romani people disproportionately suffer from systematic violations of their rights to housing and education in the Czech Republic.
The complaint documents how private parties and public authorities disproportionately subject Romani tenants to improperly conducted evictions and discriminate against them in their access to housing. Widespread spatial segregation of disadvantaged Roma results from these practices and makes it more difficult for them to access health care and other goods and services.
The ERTF believes the Czech Republic is not doing enough to combat this discrimination or its impacts, which include landlords charging Romani tenants rents that are well above market rates for housing that is hazardous. The flawed design of the state housing subsidies program makes this possible and allows unscrupulous property owners to defraud not only their Romani tenants, but all Czech taxpayers.
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Stano Daniel: Fico's the "gypsy", I am a Rom
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- Slovakia: Entrepreneur organizes food distribution to the needy
- Together We Can: David Tišer
- Renáta Kováčová: Tragic death in UK of two Romani girls from Czech Republic sparks horrible online commentary
- VIDEO: We are the change! Young Roma want to get into politics
- Czech artist writes a guide to the Brno "Bronx", says Romani people "uninterested" in education
- French left and right unite on mass evictions of Roma: Hollande forces thousands more Roma onto the streets
- Czech presidential candidate said three years ago that Roma justifiably feel surrounded by barriers
- Czech Republic: Many Romani families being evicted by year-end
- New European civil society network hopes to accelerate the delivery of justice
Tags:The European Roma and Travellers Forum , Roma, human rights, Czech republic
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.