ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) announced today that it has filed a collective complaint against the Czech Republic with the European Committee of Social Rights, which is responsible for ensuring that States comply with the provisions of the European Social Charter.
The complaint is one of the first ever lodged before the Committee against the Czech Republic addressing discrimination against members of the Romani minority.
The ERTF alleges that Romani people disproportionately suffer from systematic violations of their rights to housing and education in the Czech Republic.
The complaint documents how private parties and public authorities disproportionately subject Romani tenants to improperly conducted evictions and discriminate against them in their access to housing. Widespread spatial segregation of disadvantaged Roma results from these practices and makes it more difficult for them to access health care and other goods and services.
The ERTF believes the Czech Republic is not doing enough to combat this discrimination or its impacts, which include landlords charging Romani tenants rents that are well above market rates for housing that is hazardous. The flawed design of the state housing subsidies program makes this possible and allows unscrupulous property owners to defraud not only their Romani tenants, but all Czech taxpayers.
- Czech survey finds 45 % of Romani ghetto residents don't trust police, 42 % do
- Czech Republic: Names of Holocaust victims to be read at 13 different towns on the occasion of Yom Hashoah
- Commentary: Romani people should not live in fear, but justice systems are not helping
- Czech presidential candidate Michal Horáček on International Romani Day: Believe in yourselves, go for your dreams
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- Julius Zajac: Ideological extremism is no longer "rising" - it's already here
- Main hero in the next Batman film will be Romani - "Nightwing" to call attention to the rights of Romani people
- Czech Republic: Historian confims remarkable story of Romani war hero Imrich Horváth with military archival documents
- Amnesty International and European Roma Rights Centre: Situation for Romani children in Slovakia is not improving
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Stano Daniel: Fico's the "gypsy", I am a Rom
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
Tags:The European Roma and Travellers Forum , Roma, human rights, Czech republic
Czech Human Rights Minister says Government might decide to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site in June10.4.2017 7:38
Czech Republic: Prestigious literary award goes to book some commentators and Romani people find offensive9.4.2017 15:27
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.