ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) announced today that it has filed a collective complaint against the Czech Republic with the European Committee of Social Rights, which is responsible for ensuring that States comply with the provisions of the European Social Charter.
The complaint is one of the first ever lodged before the Committee against the Czech Republic addressing discrimination against members of the Romani minority.
The ERTF alleges that Romani people disproportionately suffer from systematic violations of their rights to housing and education in the Czech Republic.
The complaint documents how private parties and public authorities disproportionately subject Romani tenants to improperly conducted evictions and discriminate against them in their access to housing. Widespread spatial segregation of disadvantaged Roma results from these practices and makes it more difficult for them to access health care and other goods and services.
The ERTF believes the Czech Republic is not doing enough to combat this discrimination or its impacts, which include landlords charging Romani tenants rents that are well above market rates for housing that is hazardous. The flawed design of the state housing subsidies program makes this possible and allows unscrupulous property owners to defraud not only their Romani tenants, but all Czech taxpayers.
- Slovakia: Nominations begin for Roma Spirit 2017 under auspices of President Kiska
- Czech Republic: Romani Residents Persevere Through Poor Living Conditions
- Colombia: Romani Residents Embrace Their New and Traditional Identities
- Romania: Romani Actresses Shine a Spotlight on Feminism
- AMER: Human rights defenders in Turkey should be released immediately!
- Bulgaria: Anti-Roma Protests Continue After Alleged Romani Attacks on Teenagers
- Alana Telesford Explores Educational Inequity within the Czech Republic
- Lehigh University Students Explore the Problem of Social Housing within the Czech Republic
- Romani Students Propel Themselves Forward, Aiming to Further Their Education
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Bulgaria: Alleged Romani Attacks on Rowers Sparks Anti-Roma Protest
- Bernard Rorke: Bulgarian government sticks a middle finger at Europe and appoints a fascist to head integration unit
Tags:The European Roma and Travellers Forum , Roma, human rights, Czech republic
Saturday's incident during which a man drove a car into a crowd of people in Charlottesville, Virginia is being investigated by the FBI. Unrest broke out in the town
that was provoked by two assemblies by white extremists there beginning Friday.
videoUnique Czechoslovak film from 1960 about the concentration camp for Roma at Lety screening on Romea.cz13.8.2017 20:05
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.