ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) announced today that it has filed a collective complaint against the Czech Republic with the European Committee of Social Rights, which is responsible for ensuring that States comply with the provisions of the European Social Charter.
The complaint is one of the first ever lodged before the Committee against the Czech Republic addressing discrimination against members of the Romani minority.
The ERTF alleges that Romani people disproportionately suffer from systematic violations of their rights to housing and education in the Czech Republic.
The complaint documents how private parties and public authorities disproportionately subject Romani tenants to improperly conducted evictions and discriminate against them in their access to housing. Widespread spatial segregation of disadvantaged Roma results from these practices and makes it more difficult for them to access health care and other goods and services.
The ERTF believes the Czech Republic is not doing enough to combat this discrimination or its impacts, which include landlords charging Romani tenants rents that are well above market rates for housing that is hazardous. The flawed design of the state housing subsidies program makes this possible and allows unscrupulous property owners to defraud not only their Romani tenants, but all Czech taxpayers.
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences
- Czech nursery school underpays Romani janitor for years, refuses to compensate her, she is suing
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Hungarian Supreme Court: Romani children deserve financial compensation for school segregation
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility