ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) announced today that it has filed a collective complaint against the Czech Republic with the European Committee of Social Rights, which is responsible for ensuring that States comply with the provisions of the European Social Charter.
The complaint is one of the first ever lodged before the Committee against the Czech Republic addressing discrimination against members of the Romani minority.
The ERTF alleges that Romani people disproportionately suffer from systematic violations of their rights to housing and education in the Czech Republic.
The complaint documents how private parties and public authorities disproportionately subject Romani tenants to improperly conducted evictions and discriminate against them in their access to housing. Widespread spatial segregation of disadvantaged Roma results from these practices and makes it more difficult for them to access health care and other goods and services.
The ERTF believes the Czech Republic is not doing enough to combat this discrimination or its impacts, which include landlords charging Romani tenants rents that are well above market rates for housing that is hazardous. The flawed design of the state housing subsidies program makes this possible and allows unscrupulous property owners to defraud not only their Romani tenants, but all Czech taxpayers.
- Commentary: Social Exclusion is a Global Issue
- Turkey: Roma Families in Istanbul Face Continued Gentrification
- Bosnia: Melina Halilovic is First Romani Woman in Municipal Council in Visoko
- Czech Republic: Romani people discuss whether the approach of Afrofuturism could empower them
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Commentary: The value of life in Central Europe depends on skin color
- UK: Residents in Dorset Band Together to Celebrate Romani Heritage
- Egypt: Band Introduces Traditional Romani Music to the Egyptian Jazz Scene
- Italy: Children and Pregnant Romani Women Left Homeless
- Thorbjorn Jagland Explains How Roma Empowerment Can Educate Us
- Zeljko Jovanovic: ERIAC Empowers the Roma to Share Their Legacy
Tags:The European Roma and Travellers Forum , Roma, human rights, Czech republic
Together We Can: Staffer of youth drop-in center says differences between Czech and Romani youth are minimal18.6.2017 10:02
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.