ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) announced today that it has filed a collective complaint against the Czech Republic with the European Committee of Social Rights, which is responsible for ensuring that States comply with the provisions of the European Social Charter.
The complaint is one of the first ever lodged before the Committee against the Czech Republic addressing discrimination against members of the Romani minority.
The ERTF alleges that Romani people disproportionately suffer from systematic violations of their rights to housing and education in the Czech Republic.
The complaint documents how private parties and public authorities disproportionately subject Romani tenants to improperly conducted evictions and discriminate against them in their access to housing. Widespread spatial segregation of disadvantaged Roma results from these practices and makes it more difficult for them to access health care and other goods and services.
The ERTF believes the Czech Republic is not doing enough to combat this discrimination or its impacts, which include landlords charging Romani tenants rents that are well above market rates for housing that is hazardous. The flawed design of the state housing subsidies program makes this possible and allows unscrupulous property owners to defraud not only their Romani tenants, but all Czech taxpayers.
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- Analysis: Czech society remains blind to how the poorest of the poor are (not) housed
- Czech prosecutor reviewing local election slogan referencing "pests" and "poison"
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats have to choose between democracy and racism
- Slovak Interior Ministry plans Operational Centers against "inadaptable Roma", community members protest
- Czech documentary film "Passengers" documents transition from children's homes to adulthood
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?