Czech Republic: Five charged in brawl between Romani customers and security guards in Ostrava
Police have charged five people so far in connection with last week's serious scuffle between Romani customers and security guards at a gaming room in the Ostrava-Bělský Les neighborhood. On Tuesday a 29-year-old man was charged with rioting in relation to the incident.
Three other adult males aged between 30 and 50 and one 16-year-old juvenile were charged by police on Sunday and remanded into custody by the District Court in Ostrava. The adult suspects face between five and 12 years in prison if convicted of attempted grievous bodily harm and roting, while the juvenile faces possible sentencing of half that time.
Police spokesperson Gabriela Holčáková did not specify whether those charged were bodyguards or customers. Police analyzed recorded images of the incident, interviewed eyewitnesses, and charged the suspects on that basis; they do not want to publish further details so as not to endanger the investigation.
A large group of customers attacked the gaming room security last Wednesday evening, allegedly after bouncers removed two customers from the premises. One customer is then alleged to have returned with reinforcements.
Four participants in the conflict ended up in hospital with slight to moderately severe injuries. A total of eight people were said to have been injured.
- Czech court sentences brawlers who sparked anti-Romani demos to probation
- Analysis: Czech verdict means it's a crime to stop an armed brawl
- Czech court sentences two of the four brawlers in Duchcov incident
- Prosecutor: Czechs started last year's brawl with Romani people in Rumburk
- Czech Police prevent prearranged street brawl from taking place
- Czech Republic: Racists spreading untruths online about recent brawl in Přerov
- Brawl in Ředhošt “not about racism”
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- † 17. 5. 1998, Orlová, Czech Republic: Milan Lacko
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police send case of attack on Romani minors to Criminal Police to determine whether it was a felony
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech MP with extreme-right group is evicting Roma onto the street
- Czech courts definitively acquit publisher of Salafist book of promoting a movement against human rights