Czech Republic: KHAMORO festival began yesterday and runs through Saturday
Last night the KHAMORO Festival of Romani culture began with a concert on Střelecký ostrov (Shooter's Island) in Prague. Singers Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig, Elis and Markéta Konvičková performed at the kick-off event, followed by DJ Gadjo.cz.
The 19th annual review of Romani culture offers concerts of jazz and traditional Romani music, dance performances, exhibitions and expert discussions. This year's event is also focusing on literature.
The festival will present the work of Romani authors and will also discuss the depiction of Romani characters in books by non-Romani authors. Today this review of Romani literature, "Gavoro" (Village) begins in Prague.
The event aims to draw attention to Romani authors. "If Romani people excel at anything it is dance, playing musical instruments, and singing. On the other hand, it is not customary to connect them with written literature. This year's KHAMORO festival would like to convince its fans to abandon this stereotypical notion," the festival organizers said.
The encounters with the Romani literati will be augmented by creative writing courses. The traditional parade by performers through the center of the capital will also be part of this year's program.
The parade takes place on Friday at noon. Bands and dance ensembles will proceed from Wenceslas Square to the Old Town Square.
That event will feature 300 dancers, musicians and other performers. Tonight and tomorrow there will be jazz concerts on offer.
Wednesday evening will feature a theatrical presentation. On Thursday and Friday ensembles of traditional music will perform.
The review of Romani culture will culminate on Saturday with the gala concert. You can find more information about the program here.
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO Festival starts in eight days, launches video ad
- 19th annual KHAMORO festival in Prague: Conferences, exhibitions, football - and music
- DEADLINE TOMORROW: KHAMORO World Roma Festival to train Romani youth in festival production
- KHAMORO 2016 in its 18th year - concerts, exhibitions, seminars, theater and much more
- Petr Kotlár: Filming with Václav Marhoul was a colossal experience
- LIVE BROADCAST: Gala awards ceremony Tajsa 2019 for Roma in the arts and culture
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- Gipsy.cz's new video calls on adults and children to put down their phones and go outside together
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"