Czech Republic: KHAMORO festival began yesterday and runs through Saturday
Last night the KHAMORO Festival of Romani culture began with a concert on Střelecký ostrov (Shooter's Island) in Prague. Singers Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig, Elis and Markéta Konvičková performed at the kick-off event, followed by DJ Gadjo.cz.
The 19th annual review of Romani culture offers concerts of jazz and traditional Romani music, dance performances, exhibitions and expert discussions. This year's event is also focusing on literature.
The festival will present the work of Romani authors and will also discuss the depiction of Romani characters in books by non-Romani authors. Today this review of Romani literature, "Gavoro" (Village) begins in Prague.
The event aims to draw attention to Romani authors. "If Romani people excel at anything it is dance, playing musical instruments, and singing. On the other hand, it is not customary to connect them with written literature. This year's KHAMORO festival would like to convince its fans to abandon this stereotypical notion," the festival organizers said.
The encounters with the Romani literati will be augmented by creative writing courses. The traditional parade by performers through the center of the capital will also be part of this year's program.
The parade takes place on Friday at noon. Bands and dance ensembles will proceed from Wenceslas Square to the Old Town Square.
That event will feature 300 dancers, musicians and other performers. Tonight and tomorrow there will be jazz concerts on offer.
Wednesday evening will feature a theatrical presentation. On Thursday and Friday ensembles of traditional music will perform.
The review of Romani culture will culminate on Saturday with the gala concert. You can find more information about the program here.
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO Festival starts in eight days, launches video ad
- 19th annual KHAMORO festival in Prague: Conferences, exhibitions, football - and music
- DEADLINE TOMORROW: KHAMORO World Roma Festival to train Romani youth in festival production
- KHAMORO 2016 in its 18th year - concerts, exhibitions, seminars, theater and much more
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Germany: Alcohol banned at neo-Nazi festival, some locals also bought up all the beer to keep it out of neo-Nazi hands
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Richard Samko's message to the late singer Věra Bílá: Me, nikda nazabisterav, palikerav tumege
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá