Czech Republic: Khamoro Festival starts today in Prague
The best Romani artists from all over the world are now heading to Prague and then to Plzeň. Today is the first day of the 17th annual Khamoro Festival, which is the best-known, biggest Romani festival in the world.
The festival offers audiences traditional Romani music, Gypsy Jazz, classical music, and hip hop. Many other artistic events round out the musical program.
Khamoro lasts from 24 - 30 May 2015 and is a seven-day marathon of Romani culture. Everything begins on Sunday at 20:00 with a party on the banks of the Vltava River in Prague and the band Terne Čhave from Hradec Králové, together with Jan Bendig, followed by an experimental combination of traditional Romani music with hip hop in a performance by the Romani singer Mário Bihári together with the rapper Vladimir 518.
During the week audiences can look forward to many illustrious names from the Romani music scene. There will be a concert by Gypsy Jazz and swing guitarists Angelo Debarre & Marius Apostol from France, by the Serbian hiphop artist Roma Sijam, by the legendary band Mahala Rai Banda from Romania, and a performance by the homegrown Romani band Věra Bílá a Kale.
In Plzeň the festival will take place from 26 - 28 May, and audiences there will have a chance to see these renowned Romani artists live there as well. The Khamoro Festival is not just about music, though.
The program includes the children's day Khamororo, a colorful parade through the center of Prague, exhibitions, our first Street Battle Jam dance competition, Romani story-telling and workshops. There will also be a discussion by experts from all over Europe debating, among other things, how Romani culture might contribute to improving the position of Romani people in Europe.
A "Mini-Summer School of Romani Culture" will also take place during the festival, as will the "Khamoro Shares Experience" program and the Czech Romani Youth Meeting. The program will also be attended by children residing in children's homes in the Czech Republic as part of the "Khamoro Kher" project.
Plzeň will also be presenting an entertaining community program, and audiences there will be able to taste the 650 kilogram "Mandala" cake. That event will be part of a performance by the Romani multimedia artist Zoran Tairović of Serbia, who will attempt to demonstrate what a complicated labyrinth the "Romani Person" must pass through in order to taste at least a little bit of a dignified life.
The Khamoro Festival began in 1999 with the aim of presenting Romani culture to the broader public. The organizers of the event are the Slovo 21, z.s., organization and Studio Production Saga.
Hits of past festivals have included The Zuralia Orchestra from Romania, which combines Romani folklore and traditional Romani music with jazz, Latin, Oriental and reggae music, various jazz concerts, and the traditional parade by the bands through the Prague city center. The festival is supported by the City of Prague and is being held under the auspices of Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka, Czech Culture Minister Daniel Herman, and the Mayor of Prague, Adriana Krnáčová.
Plzeň is the European Capital of Culture for 2015. The Khamoro Festival will take place there for the second year in a row.
PROGRAM - PRAGUE
- KHAMORO: Annual parade of Romani performers marches through the center of Prague
- Czech Republic: Street Battle Jam dance competition comes to Khamoro World Roma Festival for the first time
- Roma wanted: Apply for unique cultural management training – Khamoro Shares its Experience
- Khamoro World Roma Festival coming to Plzeň for the first time!
- Czech Republic: Khamoro World Roma Festival closes with gala concert in Prague
- Czech Republic: 16th annual Khamoro Festival of Roma culture returns to Prague
- Khamoro 2013, Thursday: Concert of traditional Roma music
- Khamoro 2013, Friday: Concert of traditional Roma music
- Three Gypsy Jazz concerts will be performed at the 15th Khamoro Festival
- The 14th year of the world Roma festival Khamoro is heading to the Czech capital
- Former Czech Prime Minister and presidential candidate Jan Fischer on 8 April: Save World Roma Festival KHAMORO
- Online petition to save Prague's World Romani Festival KHAMORO gaining signatures quickly
- Urgent online petition to save Prague's World Romani Festival - KHAMORO, scheduled for next month
- Khamoro Festival of Roma culture in need of funding
- Documentary about three Roma women in politics premieres at Khamoro Festival in Prague
- 13th World Roma Festival KHAMORO opens in Prague 22 May
- The 12th year of the World The 12th year of KHAMORO in 2010!
- Romany festival Khamoro ends in Prague
- World Romany festival Khamoro opens in Prague
- Preparations of World Roma festival Khamoro are running!
- Gipsy.cz video sends the message that we can turn the negative into positive
- Prague LGBT Pride festival is underway, Roma organizing Hot Chocolate stage at the post-parade party
- ROMEA broadcast live online Saturday's concert by Romani rapper Rytmus and others
- Czech Republic: "Gypsy Soul" exhibition on view at Jerusalem Synagogue through August
- Czech Republic's 2017 Ghettofest to feature Amaro Records music stage, an Anne Frank corner, and readings in a former prison
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO parade of performers takes to the streets of Prague
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO festival began yesterday and runs through Saturday
- Czech Republic: KHAMORO Festival starts in eight days, launches video ad
- Pavlína Matiová: I'm happy when I can sing in Romanes
- Czech Republic: 6th annual Ghettofest in Brno to feature Romani recording studio Amaro Records
- Czech Republic: Pop star's video features senior citizens in love and lyrics in Romanes
- Czech Republic: Amaro Records recording studio wants to bring majority society and Romani people together
Tags:Festival, Hudba, Khamoro, Koncert
Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"7.2.2018 16:32
concentration camp at Lety u Písku, a site of the genocide of the Roma during the Second World War. When asked today whether he supports removing Okamura from his post as vice-chair of the lower house, as the Christian Democrats propose, the PM said he considers Okamura's apology to have been sufficient.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.