Czech Republic: Landlord of Romani locality on Přednádraží street attempts suicide
The landlord of the apartment buildings in the Romani locality on Přednádraží street in Ostrava where problems with the sewer lines and the overall state of the buildings have been brewing for some time attempted suicide over the weekend. The news, reported by news server Lidovky.cz, has been confirmed by local activist Kumar Vishwanathan.
Landlord Oldřich Roztočil made his suicide attempt at some point during last weekend. The reason was the exacerbated situation on Přednádraží street.
"That is true, but this is no disgrace to him. It has to do with how our town functions. Our politicians are irresponsible and never intended to resolve the situation with the sewer lines. They led him into bankruptcy, vilifying him all the while as a wealthy man, and they have ruined him. They don't want to resolve these problems," Vishwanathan told news server Lidovky.cz. He has been closely involved in the case of the buildings on Přednádraží street.
"I was with him this morning and he is more or less all right. They say he will get it together over the long weekend and then we will start taking other steps regarding preserving the buildings," Vishwanathan said.
The situation on Přednádraží street came to a head during the summer. Families living there were having problems with the broken sewer lines and with the fact that the water company stopped supplying them with potable water because they owed too much money. Many of the buildings are in a state of disrepair.
"Many families and children living on Přednádraží street are vulnerable. They no longer have the will to carry on," Vishwanathan said. In his view, politicians should stop "flying in the clouds", start being humble, and primarily start solving people's problems.
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion accuses paper of anti-Romani campaign
- Help Romea.cz win support from Vodafone
- Czech Republic and "gypsies" - 1938 vs. 2012
- Czech Republic: Equal Opportunities Party to protest local-level anti-Romani moves
- Czech mayor: Romani people face lynching unless rape suspect taken into custody
- Czech municipality gets tough on Ostrava ghetto residents again
- Czech Republic: Proud Romani students in IT, medicine, and natural sciences
- Prosecutor: Czechs started last year's brawl with Romani people in Rumburk
- Roma Pride 2012 marches through the center of Prague
- Czech Republic: 70 ultra-rightists march on Romani neighborhood
- Czech Republic: Project commemorates postwar Romani labor
- European experts compare experiences working in socially excluded localities