Czech Republic: Landlord of Romani locality on Přednádraží street attempts suicide
The landlord of the apartment buildings in the Romani locality on Přednádraží street in Ostrava where problems with the sewer lines and the overall state of the buildings have been brewing for some time attempted suicide over the weekend. The news, reported by news server Lidovky.cz, has been confirmed by local activist Kumar Vishwanathan.
Landlord Oldřich Roztočil made his suicide attempt at some point during last weekend. The reason was the exacerbated situation on Přednádraží street.
"That is true, but this is no disgrace to him. It has to do with how our town functions. Our politicians are irresponsible and never intended to resolve the situation with the sewer lines. They led him into bankruptcy, vilifying him all the while as a wealthy man, and they have ruined him. They don't want to resolve these problems," Vishwanathan told news server Lidovky.cz. He has been closely involved in the case of the buildings on Přednádraží street.
"I was with him this morning and he is more or less all right. They say he will get it together over the long weekend and then we will start taking other steps regarding preserving the buildings," Vishwanathan said.
The situation on Přednádraží street came to a head during the summer. Families living there were having problems with the broken sewer lines and with the fact that the water company stopped supplying them with potable water because they owed too much money. Many of the buildings are in a state of disrepair.
"Many families and children living on Přednádraží street are vulnerable. They no longer have the will to carry on," Vishwanathan said. In his view, politicians should stop "flying in the clouds", start being humble, and primarily start solving people's problems.
- ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
- Czech Republic: Gypsy Spirit prize being revived by private foundations
- Did the Czech President invite an anti-Semitic extremist to Prague Castle?
- Czech election results in Romani neighborhoods
- Czech Republic: 50 anti-minority racists march in Plzeň, 60 Roma stand up to them
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis attempt pogrom in Ostrava, 500 Roma march against them
- Czech President: More police needed in areas of conflict
- Czech Republic: No Romani candidates seated, populist Dawn (Úsvit) gets 7 % of the vote
- The long road of active resistance to racist marches in the Czech Republic
- Czech elections: Social Democrats gain only slight lead over ANO 2011
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis to march on state holiday Monday
- Czech Republic: Perpetrators of machete attack get up to 17.5 years