Czech Republic: Lety pig farm remembered at entrance to Terezín
The Konexe association has once again called attention to the topic of the Romani Holocaust and the scandal of the pig farm at Lety by Písek within the framework of the commemoration in honor of Holocaust victims at Terezín. Miroslav Brož of the association explained his reasons for holding the event to news server Romea.cz last week as follows: "Not just the commemorative ceremony at Terezín, but the entire atmosphere around it does not assure us that the Romani people who were murdered will also be remembered in a dignified way. For example, Czech Television is preparing to broadcast a whole slate of films and other programs to mark the anniversary, including programs about the Czech resistance and about Jewish people, but not one program is about Romani people."
Approximately 20 activists unrolled banners at Terezín reading "Tear Down the Pig Farm at the Roma Concentration Camp Site at Lety" in both Czech and English. They then walked to the cross at the cemetery in the Small Fortress, lit candles and prayed.
The official commemoration at Terezín today is part of a two-day event marking the Holocaust and the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp 70 years ago. Yesterday a discussion forum was held at Prague Castle where intellectuals and politicians spoke, among other things, about the role of the media in generating opinions about extremism and about measures to take against intolerance.
The two-day forum, called "Let My People Live!", is convened by the European Jewish Congress. Today its program began with a speech by Czech President Miloš Zeman.
- Czech Holocaust commemoration will appeal against anti-Semitism and extremism - Romani victims forgotten?
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture marks Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Republic: Director of Terezín memorial against NGO honoring Romani victims separately
- Czech Republic: Demonstration at Terezín will demand Romani victims of Holocaust be honored
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Germany: 9.5 year sentence for murder that sparked demonstrations last year, convicted suspect insists he did not do it
- Archaeological survey continues at site of former concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people