Czech Republic: Lety pig farm remembered at entrance to Terezín
The Konexe association has once again called attention to the topic of the Romani Holocaust and the scandal of the pig farm at Lety by Písek within the framework of the commemoration in honor of Holocaust victims at Terezín. Miroslav Brož of the association explained his reasons for holding the event to news server Romea.cz last week as follows: "Not just the commemorative ceremony at Terezín, but the entire atmosphere around it does not assure us that the Romani people who were murdered will also be remembered in a dignified way. For example, Czech Television is preparing to broadcast a whole slate of films and other programs to mark the anniversary, including programs about the Czech resistance and about Jewish people, but not one program is about Romani people."
Approximately 20 activists unrolled banners at Terezín reading "Tear Down the Pig Farm at the Roma Concentration Camp Site at Lety" in both Czech and English. They then walked to the cross at the cemetery in the Small Fortress, lit candles and prayed.
The official commemoration at Terezín today is part of a two-day event marking the Holocaust and the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp 70 years ago. Yesterday a discussion forum was held at Prague Castle where intellectuals and politicians spoke, among other things, about the role of the media in generating opinions about extremism and about measures to take against intolerance.
The two-day forum, called "Let My People Live!", is convened by the European Jewish Congress. Today its program began with a speech by Czech President Miloš Zeman.
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech protest against new ombudsman marches through second-largest city
- Czech demonstration for democratic institutions objects to new ombudsman, politicians' efforts to control public broadcasting
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- PHOTO ESSAY Yet another protest against fascist party in Slovakia, Roma turned out as well
- Director of the Lidice Memorial in the Czech Republic has resigned
- Czech Govt Roma Council recommends analyzing interwar assets of Roma and Sinti confiscated during the war, a still-unresolved matter
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data