Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
Romani residents of Brno organized a march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma on Thursday, 15 February 2018 calling for the memory of Romani victims to be honored. The main reason for the initiative is to take a stand against recent remarks by representatives of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party (SPD) about the concentration camp at Lety.
Organizers of the march say those remarks deny the Holocaust of the Roma and are blatantly cruel to the victims and their families. The aim of the candlelit march was to express disagreement with and rejection of this inappropriate behavior by state representatives.
The march began on Moravské náměstí at 16:30 and continued across Milada Horáková Street to the Holocaust Victims' Memorial on 28. října. Figures including the Mayor of Brno, Petr Vokřál, gave speeches there, as did the independent journalist Alica Sigmund Heráková, who related the stories of eyewitnesses to the Holocaust; musician Gejza Horváth; director of the Museum of Romani Culture Jana Horváthová; historian with the National Heritage Institute Michal Konečný; and Robin Stria, a Romani activist who coordinated the event.
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- Czech MP marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day by doubting what happened at Romani genocide site
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- EUROPE: Roma Pride 2016 raised the issue of denying that Roma were Holocaust victims
- Czech MP Stanislav Huml shares Holocaust denial video online
- As politicians mark International Holocaust Remembrance day, Czech extremists deny it
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture announces competition to design the memorial at the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- ROMEA TV: Irrefutable evidence found that industrial pig farm was built on top of former concentration camp for Roma
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- On the 50th anniversary of Czechoslovakia's short-lived Union of Gypsies-Roma, community members recall its hopes
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- Archaeological survey continues at site of former concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic