Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
Romani residents of Brno organized a march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma on Thursday, 15 February 2018 calling for the memory of Romani victims to be honored. The main reason for the initiative is to take a stand against recent remarks by representatives of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party (SPD) about the concentration camp at Lety.
Organizers of the march say those remarks deny the Holocaust of the Roma and are blatantly cruel to the victims and their families. The aim of the candlelit march was to express disagreement with and rejection of this inappropriate behavior by state representatives.
The march began on Moravské náměstí at 16:30 and continued across Milada Horáková Street to the Holocaust Victims' Memorial on 28. října. Figures including the Mayor of Brno, Petr Vokřál, gave speeches there, as did the independent journalist Alica Sigmund Heráková, who related the stories of eyewitnesses to the Holocaust; musician Gejza Horváth; director of the Museum of Romani Culture Jana Horváthová; historian with the National Heritage Institute Michal Konečný; and Robin Stria, a Romani activist who coordinated the event.
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- Czech MP marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day by doubting what happened at Romani genocide site
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- EUROPE: Roma Pride 2016 raised the issue of denying that Roma were Holocaust victims
- Czech MP Stanislav Huml shares Holocaust denial video online
- As politicians mark International Holocaust Remembrance day, Czech extremists deny it
- Holocaust survivors and remembrance organizations object to how younger generation is using TikTok to commemorate victims
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Commemorative ceremony at Hodonín memorial in Czech Republic 20 August honors Romani and Sinti victims of the Holocaust
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Czech protest against new ombudsman marches through second-largest city
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals