Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
Romani residents of Brno organized a march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma on Thursday, 15 February 2018 calling for the memory of Romani victims to be honored. The main reason for the initiative is to take a stand against recent remarks by representatives of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party (SPD) about the concentration camp at Lety.
Organizers of the march say those remarks deny the Holocaust of the Roma and are blatantly cruel to the victims and their families. The aim of the candlelit march was to express disagreement with and rejection of this inappropriate behavior by state representatives.
The march began on Moravské náměstí at 16:30 and continued across Milada Horáková Street to the Holocaust Victims' Memorial on 28. října. Figures including the Mayor of Brno, Petr Vokřál, gave speeches there, as did the independent journalist Alica Sigmund Heráková, who related the stories of eyewitnesses to the Holocaust; musician Gejza Horváth; director of the Museum of Romani Culture Jana Horváthová; historian with the National Heritage Institute Michal Konečný; and Robin Stria, a Romani activist who coordinated the event.
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- Czech MP marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day by doubting what happened at Romani genocide site
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- EUROPE: Roma Pride 2016 raised the issue of denying that Roma were Holocaust victims
- Czech MP Stanislav Huml shares Holocaust denial video online
- As politicians mark International Holocaust Remembrance day, Czech extremists deny it
- Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic to take place in 2019, new memorial to open in 2023
- Romani community in Czech Republic's second-largest city films the first-ever Romani sitcom
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Czech Police must re-investigate one MP for Holocaust denial, but head of ultranationalist party will not be prosecuted
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion introduces itself to Romani coordinators in South Moravia
- VIDEO: Chair of Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic on the archaeological findings there
- Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site
- Jana Horváthová: Affirmative action and inclusion will solve the situation of Roma in the Czech Republic
- Commentary: The thorny path of Romani emancipation from Czechoslovakia to today's Czech Republic
- VIDEO: Museum of Romani Culture Award given to Romani activist David Tišer
- Holocaust memorial in Czech town will bloom with yellow crocuses in the spring
- Robin Stria, 7th place candidate for the Greens, Brno-střed: The biggest problem in the Czech Republic is housing