Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
Romani residents of Brno organized a march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma on Thursday, 15 February 2018 calling for the memory of Romani victims to be honored. The main reason for the initiative is to take a stand against recent remarks by representatives of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party (SPD) about the concentration camp at Lety.
Organizers of the march say those remarks deny the Holocaust of the Roma and are blatantly cruel to the victims and their families. The aim of the candlelit march was to express disagreement with and rejection of this inappropriate behavior by state representatives.
The march began on Moravské náměstí at 16:30 and continued across Milada Horáková Street to the Holocaust Victims' Memorial on 28. října. Figures including the Mayor of Brno, Petr Vokřál, gave speeches there, as did the independent journalist Alica Sigmund Heráková, who related the stories of eyewitnesses to the Holocaust; musician Gejza Horváth; director of the Museum of Romani Culture Jana Horváthová; historian with the National Heritage Institute Michal Konečný; and Robin Stria, a Romani activist who coordinated the event.
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- Czech MP marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day by doubting what happened at Romani genocide site
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- EUROPE: Roma Pride 2016 raised the issue of denying that Roma were Holocaust victims
- Czech MP Stanislav Huml shares Holocaust denial video online
- As politicians mark International Holocaust Remembrance day, Czech extremists deny it
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- US Holocaust Museum offers unique opportunity in Prague to relatives of those persecuted on Protectorate territory
- Petra Gelbart: Auschwitz Museum says recent research finds the Romani prisoners' uprising was not on 16 May 1944
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Czech city backtracks on scope of plan to house homeless, cutting the units to be offered by half
- 1 May march by Czech neo-Nazis was dispersed and torches were put out, but antisemitic abuse was expressed
- Czech city of Brno to see counter-protests against neo-Nazis again this year
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech lower house committee does not recommend stripping MP of immunity over denying the Holocaust of the Roma