Czech Republic: Memorial assembly and march this Thursday in Žatec over Romani man's death
In the Czech town of Žatec a memorial assembly and march will be held on Thursday, 27 October in connection with the death of a Romani man at a local pizzeria. Jan Čonka and Mikuláš Vymětal announced the gathering, called "Justice for the Romani Victims of Violence" (Spravedlnost pro romské oběti násilí), and have also informed news server Romea.cz of the bank account number to which people can send financial support for the family of the deceased young man.
BANK ACCOUNT FOR DONATIONS TO THE FAMILY
IBAN FOR DONATIONS FROM OUTSIDE THE CZECH REPUBLIC
CZ 670300 0000 0002 77068518
"The assembly will begin on náměstí Svobody, where speeches will be given and we will all pray together. The march will set out at around 15:30 and proceed down Třída Obránců Míru and Masarykova Street, where we will close the gathering after making more speeches and remembering the deceased through a public memorial service," Čonka told news server Romea.cz
The conveners of the memorial gathering also called on members of the Romani community to remain calm and not to lower themselves to making racist or violent declarations. "This is not a war, there is no 'eye for an eye', we live in the 21st century. Let the police, lawyers and courts do their work. The family of the deceased does not want any slandering of the majority society as a whole. Thursday's gathering must be peaceful and reverent," Čonka said.
According to information received by news server Romea.cz, other solidarity assemblies are planning to be held on various dates in Canada and Great Britain. Large communities of Romani people who have emigrated from the former Czechoslovakia and present-day Czech Republic live in both countries.
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council demand thorough investigation of Romani man's death as soon as possible
- Radim Kupec on the death of Romani man in Žatec: The essence of equality is justice
- Czech Republic: Video of Romani assembly in Žatec on 20 October
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Renáta Kováčová on the death of the Romani man in Žatec: Exonerating autopsy results impossible to believe
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Lucie Oračková on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Czech Police are not protecting us
- The final hours of life of the young Romani man who died at a Czech pizzeria
- Czech Republic: Pizzeria management says Romani man who died there attacked customers, who "detained him until police arrived"
- Michal Miko on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: What next?
- Czech Police said to have prevented parents of deceased Romani man from seeing his body before the autopsy
- Stanislava Ondová: I'm beginning to no longer feel safe in our Czech Republic
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Man who gave Nazi salute at anti-EU demonstration in Czech capital fined and given suspended sentence
- Russia: Youth conflict sparks bloodshed, attempted pogrom against Roma has fatal outcome
- Czech commemoration at site of Nazi massacre tomorrow will not feature xenophobic speaker
- Commentary: Is the Czech PM just a liar, or is he also paranoid?
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site