Czech Republic: Memorial assembly and march this Thursday in Žatec over Romani man's death
In the Czech town of Žatec a memorial assembly and march will be held on Thursday, 27 October in connection with the death of a Romani man at a local pizzeria. Jan Čonka and Mikuláš Vymětal announced the gathering, called "Justice for the Romani Victims of Violence" (Spravedlnost pro romské oběti násilí), and have also informed news server Romea.cz of the bank account number to which people can send financial support for the family of the deceased young man.
BANK ACCOUNT FOR DONATIONS TO THE FAMILY
IBAN FOR DONATIONS FROM OUTSIDE THE CZECH REPUBLIC
CZ 670300 0000 0002 77068518
"The assembly will begin on náměstí Svobody, where speeches will be given and we will all pray together. The march will set out at around 15:30 and proceed down Třída Obránců Míru and Masarykova Street, where we will close the gathering after making more speeches and remembering the deceased through a public memorial service," Čonka told news server Romea.cz
The conveners of the memorial gathering also called on members of the Romani community to remain calm and not to lower themselves to making racist or violent declarations. "This is not a war, there is no 'eye for an eye', we live in the 21st century. Let the police, lawyers and courts do their work. The family of the deceased does not want any slandering of the majority society as a whole. Thursday's gathering must be peaceful and reverent," Čonka said.
According to information received by news server Romea.cz, other solidarity assemblies are planning to be held on various dates in Canada and Great Britain. Large communities of Romani people who have emigrated from the former Czechoslovakia and present-day Czech Republic live in both countries.
- Miroslav Kováč on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Latent institutional racism, lack of respect for human life
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council demand thorough investigation of Romani man's death as soon as possible
- Radim Kupec on the death of Romani man in Žatec: The essence of equality is justice
- Czech Republic: Video of Romani assembly in Žatec on 20 October
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Renáta Kováčová on the death of the Romani man in Žatec: Exonerating autopsy results impossible to believe
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Lucie Oračková on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Czech Police are not protecting us
- The final hours of life of the young Romani man who died at a Czech pizzeria
- Czech Republic: Pizzeria management says Romani man who died there attacked customers, who "detained him until police arrived"
- Michal Miko on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: What next?
- Czech Police said to have prevented parents of deceased Romani man from seeing his body before the autopsy
- Stanislava Ondová: I'm beginning to no longer feel safe in our Czech Republic
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- VIDEO: European Roma Holocaust Memorial ceremony at Auschwitz was virtual this year, Slovak and Austrian Presidents spoke
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST: Pandemic limits participation in commemorative ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial, but Slovak President will attend
- European Commission President calls on EU Member States to combat discrimination against Romani people
- Evening commemoration of European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day 2 August in Czech capital - Leperiben: We Do Not Forget
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I hope the law to compensate victims of forced sterilization will soon be adopted