Czech Republic: More charges over brawl in Ostrava, six people being prosecuted
Police have charged another assailant from the large group of people who attacked the security guards of a gaming room in mid-January in Ostrava. The serious scuffle between the bodyguards and the Romani assailants occurred after two customers were removed from the gaming room by bouncers.
Police spokesperson Gabriela Holčáková told the Czech News Agency that six people are now being prosecuted. One is a juvenile and four are in custody.
On Monday a 44-year-old man was charged with grievous bodily harm and rioting. He could spend up to 12 years in prison if convicted.
The state prosecutor recommended he be remanded into custody. "He was one of the most aggressive assailants," Holčáková said.
Over the weekend police charged a 29-year-old man with rioting. While he was also involved in the violence, he was not as aggressive as others.
If convicted he faces up to two years in prison; he was released on his own recognizance. The incident was sparked by security guards removing two customers, whom they claim were drunk and causing problems, from the premises.
One of the customers returned with reinforcements. As many as 70 Romani men are said to have driven to the scene and attacked six security guards.
Four participants in the conflict ended up in hopsital with light to moderately severe injuries; a total of eight people are said to have been injured. Police initially charged four men with grievous bodily harm and rioting, all of whom are now in custody.
- Czech Republic: Five charged in brawl between Romani customers and security guards in Ostrava
- Czech Police investigate brawl between gaming room bouncers and Romani customers in Ostrava
- Czech court sentences brawlers who sparked anti-Romani demos to probation
- Analysis: Czech verdict means it's a crime to stop an armed brawl
- Czech city of Ostrava saw crime rise, right-wing extremist threat last year
- Czech court sentences two of the four brawlers in Duchcov incident
- Czech Republic: Sentencing in the street brawl that sparked 2011 unrest
- Prosecutor: Czechs started last year's brawl with Romani people in Rumburk
- Czech Police prevent prearranged street brawl from taking place
- Czech media exaggerated reporting of brawl that unleashed ethnic unrest in the north this fall
- Czech Republic: Racists spreading untruths online about recent brawl in Přerov
- Brawl in Ředhošt “not about racism”
- Czech mayor thanks young man who came to the aid of a crime victim with a memorial coin and a medal from the police
- Out-of-town youth assault Romani child and then other Roma in Sokolov - Czech Police defused the conflict and are investigating, local Roma not happy with their response
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Czech President's nominee for ombudsman says he would not deal with discrimination against Roma if chosen because that's what the courts are for
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- For a third time, Slovak court acquits police of brutalizing Romani children a decade ago, prosecutor appealing
- Czech trial begins of brutal, allegedly racially-motivated assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children
- Lifeguard gets state honors from Czech President for injuries sustained in brawl that sparked ultra-right anti-Romani demonstration
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle
- VIDEO: Attacks on Roma in Russia apparently continued with arson
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers