Czech Republic: More than 3 000 Roma celebrate International Romani Day on a square in Ostrava
More than 3 000 people, the vast majority of them Romani, assembled on Saturday afternoon on Svatopluk Čech Square in Ostrava to celebrate International Romani Day. The initiators of the event were two Romani students, Vladimír Čermák and Vladimír Kočko.
The celebrations were supported by the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Societies of the Czech Republic. "We wanted to do something for Romani people because there are not very many events like this happening here," Čermák told news server Romea.cz.
"This is the only Romani holiday, and therefore we wanted to do a really big event so that not just people from Ostrava would attend, but people from the surrounding region," Čermák said. In his view, education is very important, and the organizers did their best to promote it throughout the afternoon.
"We are an informal group that wants to support Romani students and we want others to join us," Čermák said. During the afternoon music was performed by the bands Gipsy Culy, Gipsy Kajkoš, Diny Košice, Gipsy Čhave and the Ostrava group Gipsy Mercedes.
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- Czech Police searching for man who assaulted students for speaking English in Ostrava
- "Europe: Which Children Matter?" Discussion in Ostrava on 17 November about Roma segregation in education
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Czech tabloid apologizes for fake news report claiming video from Chile was from Ostrava
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- Romani student at Czech college prep school learns about Romani history through BARUVAS student meetings
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Czech Republic sees eighth BARUVAS program meeting for Romani students
- Czech MP with extreme-right group is evicting Roma onto the street
- Top Czech YouTuber doing media literacy education for hundreds of thousands was inspired by John Oliver
- Italian neo-Nazis want to co-opt the legacy of Czechoslovak who set himself on fire to protest the '68 invasion
- Czech high school students can learn about disinformation through a new escape game