Czech Republic: More than 3 000 Roma celebrate International Romani Day on a square in Ostrava
More than 3 000 people, the vast majority of them Romani, assembled on Saturday afternoon on Svatopluk Čech Square in Ostrava to celebrate International Romani Day. The initiators of the event were two Romani students, Vladimír Čermák and Vladimír Kočko.
The celebrations were supported by the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Societies of the Czech Republic. "We wanted to do something for Romani people because there are not very many events like this happening here," Čermák told news server Romea.cz.
"This is the only Romani holiday, and therefore we wanted to do a really big event so that not just people from Ostrava would attend, but people from the surrounding region," Čermák said. In his view, education is very important, and the organizers did their best to promote it throughout the afternoon.
"We are an informal group that wants to support Romani students and we want others to join us," Čermák said. During the afternoon music was performed by the bands Gipsy Culy, Gipsy Kajkoš, Diny Košice, Gipsy Čhave and the Ostrava group Gipsy Mercedes.
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- Czech Police searching for man who assaulted students for speaking English in Ostrava
- "Europe: Which Children Matter?" Discussion in Ostrava on 17 November about Roma segregation in education
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Czech tabloid apologizes for fake news report claiming video from Chile was from Ostrava
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- Czech high school students can learn about disinformation through a new escape game
- Czech Republic: Realtor tells tenants they'd better not be on welfare
- Czech city of Ostrava to see ALL JOBS fair later this month
- ROMEA's scholarship recipients encouraged to motivate those around them
- Live online broadcast TODAY of benefit concert in Prague to support Romani accident victim's medical treatment
- Deadline to apply to Romani Studies program at Charles University now 19 August
- Romani students from Czech Republic visit Germany, say they will not allow unfreedom to recur
- Czech Republic: Romani Student Movement says Roma must be involved in addressing affairs that affect them
- Residents of Czech neighborhood announce "Two Weeks of Vigilance" to protest their impending eviction
- Czech Republic: Romani secondary school students can apply for scholarships, deadline is 15 July
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Vanesa Horváthová: I hope there will be more Romani doctors, journalists, lawyers and police officers