Czech Republic: More than 3 000 Roma celebrate International Romani Day on a square in Ostrava
More than 3 000 people, the vast majority of them Romani, assembled on Saturday afternoon on Svatopluk Čech Square in Ostrava to celebrate International Romani Day. The initiators of the event were two Romani students, Vladimír Čermák and Vladimír Kočko.
The celebrations were supported by the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Societies of the Czech Republic. "We wanted to do something for Romani people because there are not very many events like this happening here," Čermák told news server Romea.cz.
"This is the only Romani holiday, and therefore we wanted to do a really big event so that not just people from Ostrava would attend, but people from the surrounding region," Čermák said. In his view, education is very important, and the organizers did their best to promote it throughout the afternoon.
"We are an informal group that wants to support Romani students and we want others to join us," Čermák said. During the afternoon music was performed by the bands Gipsy Culy, Gipsy Kajkoš, Diny Košice, Gipsy Čhave and the Ostrava group Gipsy Mercedes.
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- Czech Police searching for man who assaulted students for speaking English in Ostrava
- "Europe: Which Children Matter?" Discussion in Ostrava on 17 November about Roma segregation in education
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Czech tabloid apologizes for fake news report claiming video from Chile was from Ostrava
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- Once persecuted, the Salesians have run programs unlike any others for Romani children for 30 years in third-largest Czech city
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- Czech Republic: 11th Romani student meeting BARUVAS is changing lives
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!