Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture announces photography competition
Are you a Romani person with family photographs that were taken in Czechoslovakia prior to 1989, or do you enjoy taking pictures and want to show them to others? If so, then you can submit your photographic work to the Museum of Romani Culture's photography competition inspired by the Romani photographer Andrej Pešta, whose exhibition "Andrej Pešta: Mire sveti / The Worlds of Andrej Pešta" can be visited at the Museum in Brno from now until 10 March 2019.
Pešta was active as a photographer primarily from 1950 to 1980. His main subject was his own family and closest friends.
In the first category of this competition, "The Romani Family", the Museum is referencing this fact and seeking new photographs from Romani family albums that were put together not just during the time at which Pešta worked, but even before 1950. In addition to his family, Pešta also photographed cultural events of all kinds.
Pešta was an active documentarist as well. Through the second category of the competition, "Roma Behind the Camera", the Museum wants to expand Pešta's worlds to include new ones that have been documented and experienced by other Romani photographers.
The contest opened on 9 October and will run through 28 February 2019. People can apply by sending in a form describing their photo(s) along with at least one and no more than 10 photographs that correspond to the contest themes.
Competition categories and themes:
The Romani Family - Group photographs from family albums, portraits, snapshots, daily life in Romani families on the territory of Czechoslovakia until 1989.
Roma Behind the Camera - Are you a Romani man or woman who photographs? This category is for photographs on any subject that have been taken by a single photographer.
The Museum accepts contest entries either electronically or physically. They can be of any dimensions, and the physical photographs can be either originals or reproductions.
You can submit your completed application form - which can be downloaded here - and your entries electronically through the Museum's website, or deliver them in person or through the regular mail by 28 February 2019 at the latest to the Museum. If delivering printed photographs, please write "FOTOSOUTĚŽ MUZEA ROMSKÉ KULTURY" on the envelope in large block letters.
An expert jury will award a prize for each category as well as CZK 3 000 [EUR 120]. The contest rules and all other necessary information can be found on the website of the Museum.
- VIDEO: Museum of Romani Culture Award given to Romani activist David Tišer
- Czech capital to see seminar on stereotypes in the photographic depictions of Jewish and Romani people
- MEP Soraya Post supports Romani photo campaign responding to Czech President's antigypsyist remarks
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
- PHOTO GALLERY of today's Prague demonstration of solidarity with Roma in Italy and Ukraine
- Amateur photo contest won with images of Romani people sparks hateful reactions on Czech internet
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture and ROMEA to hold public discussion on the future form of Romani genocide memorial
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture officially takes charge of memorial at Romani genocide site in Hodonín u Kunštátu
- Czech Republic: ROMEA plans public debates about future of Roma genocide site once Museum of Romani Culture takes over
- Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
- Czech-language, racist website asked people to "Snap an immigrant!", Roma and tourists were in the photos
- Czech historian from Museum of Romani Culture: Let's discuss what comes after the pig farm is removed from the Roma genocide site
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture opens retrospective of photographer Nihad Nino Pušija
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- Czech Human Rights Minister wants Lety concentration camp memorial administered by Museum of Romani Culture, relative of victims disagrees
- Researcher finds first photograph of Romani community member as a Czechoslovak soldier, seeks those who remember Imrich Horváth
- Czech Govt Council on Roma Affairs insists Museum of Romani Culture manage Romani Holocaust memorial at Hodonín
- Czech Republic: 2016 Prize of the Museum of Romani Culture goes to Margita Lázoková
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture to commemorate ROMFEST 1990 and award its own 2016 prize
- Czech Republic: ARA ART exhibition features art photography of male nudes
- Czech Republic: Record numbers of parents seek after-school tutoring for their children from Museum of Romani Culture
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture holds commemorative ceremony on anniversary of genocide of Bohemian and Moravian Roma
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture director says economic situation of Roma deteriorating
- Sweden: Iconic incident of woman swatting neo-Nazi with her purse was also captured on film
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Jana Horváthová: Institutional racism still exists, many Roma have no faith in official structures
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture's international competition for new memorial at former concentration camp receives 41 designs, exceeding organizers' expectations
- Romani community member becomes Miss Czech Republic
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Czech archaeological survey confirms human remains are located in the vicinity of current memorial to WWII-era concentration camp for Roma
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- Romani community member Edita Stejskalová recognized for her political engagement in the Czech Republic
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day