Czech Republic: New project supports high school education among residents of Chanov housing estate
News server iDNES.cz reports that at the Chanov housing estate in Most a new education project is being launched called "Support for High School Education for Youth at Chanov". The project targets pupils attending 7th, 8th and 9th grade and will run for three years with involvement form a local primary school, the House of Roma Culture (Dům romské kultury), a vocational training institution in the Velebudice quarter and the nonprofit organization Naděje.
The project is intended to address the dismal situation of unemployment among youth residing at Chanov that arises primarily due to a lack of secondary-level education. During the last 10 years, apparently only four pupils living at Chanov have ever managed to qualify for a vocational training certificate or to graduate from high school after completing their mandatory primary education.
The project is also meant to aid youth with finding jobs in the future so they will not just become dependent on welfare. "There is preparation for further study at the primary school, we are organizing field trips, open house days and trips to educational fairs," Martin Nebesař, director of the House of Roma Culture, told iDNES.cz.
The project targets parents so they can see the conditions at training institutions and comprehend the kind of jobs that their children might be able to do as a result of attending such programs. The Velebudice institution has already set up a branch at Chanov, and the first eight children are expected to attend instruction there this year.
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis outnumbered by counter-protesters at Chanov housing estate by two to one
- Czech Republic: Catholic clergy send words of support to Romani residents of Chanov housing estate
- Czech Police charge assailant from Chanov housing estate with grievous bodily harm
- Czech Pirates: We will break up the monopoly of residential hotels for the poor, we reject the insulting term "inadaptables"
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history
- Award-winning Czech principal says schools have to develop each child to the fullest
- Jaroslav Miko: Czech President shows his arrogance and lack of basic social empathy on the first day of school
- Romani college and high school students motivate Romani pupils in excluded localities of the Czech Republic to continue their studies
- Czech Bishops Conference distances itself from candidates running with extremists
- Romani residents of infamous Czech housing estate are repairing dilapidated buildings themselves with the help of the town hall
- Czech town cancels commission for container housing as too costly - which local opposition politicians have argued all along
- Every Child Matters - online guide for Czech educators
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- Czech town commissions construction of controversial modular housing units for Romani area, council meeting described to ROMEA TV by local assembly member