Czech Republic: New project supports high school education among residents of Chanov housing estate
News server iDNES.cz reports that at the Chanov housing estate in Most a new education project is being launched called "Support for High School Education for Youth at Chanov". The project targets pupils attending 7th, 8th and 9th grade and will run for three years with involvement form a local primary school, the House of Roma Culture (Dům romské kultury), a vocational training institution in the Velebudice quarter and the nonprofit organization Naděje.
The project is intended to address the dismal situation of unemployment among youth residing at Chanov that arises primarily due to a lack of secondary-level education. During the last 10 years, apparently only four pupils living at Chanov have ever managed to qualify for a vocational training certificate or to graduate from high school after completing their mandatory primary education.
The project is also meant to aid youth with finding jobs in the future so they will not just become dependent on welfare. "There is preparation for further study at the primary school, we are organizing field trips, open house days and trips to educational fairs," Martin Nebesař, director of the House of Roma Culture, told iDNES.cz.
The project targets parents so they can see the conditions at training institutions and comprehend the kind of jobs that their children might be able to do as a result of attending such programs. The Velebudice institution has already set up a branch at Chanov, and the first eight children are expected to attend instruction there this year.
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis outnumbered by counter-protesters at Chanov housing estate by two to one
- Czech Republic: Catholic clergy send words of support to Romani residents of Chanov housing estate
- Czech Police charge assailant from Chanov housing estate with grievous bodily harm
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion objects to disinformation published about its proposals for infamous housing estate
- Czech politician misquotes meeting with Romani residents of at-risk housing estate, they correct the record
- LIVE ONLINE BROADCAST 13:00 CET: Ceremonial awarding of certificates for ROMEA's scholarship program
- Central European University offers Master's degree preparatory course for Romani college students
- Romani educator at school serving infamous Czech housing estate wouldn't want to work anywhere else
- Romani college prep student in Czech Republic and ROMEA scholarship recipient hopes to become a dentist someday
- Czech Republic sees 10th BARUVAS meeting of Romani students, study abroad one of the topics
- Pirate Party partners with Romani residents to attempt improvement of infamous Czech housing estate
- International work experience opens up for unemployed youth in the Czech Republic
- Educator Martin Kaleja: From the Romani settlements in Slovakia to the Czech academic world
- Czech institute says city's hope of state investment into "container" housing may be in vain