Czech Republic: Professor Ctibor Nečas, a pioneer in researching the history of the Roma, has passed away
Professor PhDr. Ctibor Nečas, DrSc., an emeritus professor at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic who was a pioneer of research into the history of ethnic Romani people and the Holocaust, passed away on Tuesday, 19 December. Jana Horváthová, director of the Museum of Romani Culture, informed news server Romea.cz of the news on 21 December.
One year ago, Professor Nečas was given the Czech 2016 Roma Spirit Award in the individual category for his lifelong academic and popular contributions to the field of Romani Studies. He was an important Czech historian, especially in the area of researching the history of Romani people, and was an internationally-recognized, highly- appreciated researcher.
Thanks to his monograph The Holocaust of Czech Roma, which was also published in English translation in 1999, as well as due to the other studies he published in journals abroad, Professor Nečas was ranked among the recognized experts of Europe. He is the author of more than 255 works in Romani Studies.
Professor Nečas was also honored with the Museum of Romani Culture Award, the South Moravian Region Award, the Masaryk University Medal, the City of Brno Award and the Rakvice Municipality Award. One of the final pieces he authored has just been published in the November issue of Romano voďi magazine, entitled "Chronicle of the Camp at Lety u Písku" (in Czech only).
The September 2017 issue of that same magazine published an article by him entitled "Romani Partisans and the Resistance Movement" (available here in Czech only). The memorial service will be held for him on Wednesday, 27 December at 14:00 in the ceremonial hall of the Brno City Cemetery (address: Vídeňská 96).
- Czech historian from Museum of Romani Culture: Let's discuss what comes after the pig farm is removed from the Roma genocide site
- Czech Republic: Conference begins in Prague today about historical experience of Romani people as Holocaust victims
- Czech Republic: Historian confims remarkable story of Romani war hero Imrich Horváth with military archival documents
- Czech Education Minister wants to give schools money to visit historical sites
- 2016 Roma Spirit Awards in the Czech Republic: Ctibor Nečas, R-Mosty, Evangelical Academy, Richard Samko and Olga Fečová
- Czech historian responds to tabloid disinformation about Romani Holocaust site
- Czech Human Rights Minister on International Romani Day: Quality education, more awareness of Romani culture, history, language all important
- Sweden: History of the persecution of Roma in the Czech lands is published
- Analysis: Czech court convicts neo-Nazis as an organized group for the first time in history
- Council of Europe's Human Rights Commissioner: Time to cure amnesia about the history of Roma in Europe
- Czech exhibition maps little-known history of those who survived Nazi concentration camps
- Europe's biggest WWII resistance action began 80 years ago today: The assassination of Nazi official Reinhard Heydrich
- DNA samples of Romani people taken to ascertain their ethnic origin were handled unethically and the data was misused
- Romani people have faced discrimination and exclusion since Czechoslovakia first became a state
- Czech activists plant memorial lindens and oaks at places of importance in the life of Romani partisan Josef Serinek
- "How I Became a Partisan": Vera Lacková's documentary about Romani partisans screened at Czech film festival
- Czech anti-totalitarianism festival Mene Tekel features exhibit about the architecture competition for the Lety Memorial to the Holocaust
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Prague 8 municipality marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day by flying Romani flag
- 2 August marks 77 years since the tragic mass murder of 4 200 Romani people at Auschwitz