Czech Republic: Romafuturismo Library holds its grand opening TODAY
Today, 1 February, the grand opening of the Romafuturismo Library will take place at the tranzit office gallery and lecture space (Dittrichova 13, Prague 2). A marathon reading will begin at 7 AM and end at 7 PM of the book Narodila jsem se pod šťastnou hvězdou (A False Dawn) by the eminent Romani author Elena (Ilona) Lacková.
Every half hour a different reader from the list of invited guests, collaborators and friends of the library will read a different excerpt from the memoir. At 19:00 there will be an opening party with music by Mary C.
The library focuses on the emancipation of cultures and ethnic groups who are discriminated against. The collection of these gradually accumulated works by Romani authors has been created thanks to the initiative of Ladislava Gažiová, who has consulted the selections with activists and Romani Studies scholars.
The main interest is in collecting Romani authors from Europe, but there is a plan to collect from countries beyond Europe as well. "We would like to add books on the subject of Romani culture, emancipation and post-colonial thought applied to the issue of Roma and their situation. We perceive the library to also be a platform for gatherings about cultural and political subjects, presentations by authors and Romani figures, etc. The main aim of the library is to involve Romani communities, who should become the main actors in these discussions," organizers said.
- Czech Republic: Romani people discuss whether the approach of Afrofuturism could empower them
- Czech Republic: Romanes-language literary contest celebrates its 20th year
- The burden of identity: How to survive your Romani ethnicity
- A Roma Journey, an exciting new web exhibition from The European Library
- Czech car manufacturer Škoda distances itself from video by German ultra-right rapper
- Postponed celebrations of International Romani Day to be held in Czech capital on 22 July
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- Petr Kotlár: Filming with Václav Marhoul was a colossal experience
- Czech Republic: Charles University's Romani Studies Seminar accepting applications
- LIVE BROADCAST: Gala awards ceremony Tajsa 2019 for Roma in the arts and culture