Czech Republic: Romafuturismo Library holds its grand opening TODAY
Today, 1 February, the grand opening of the Romafuturismo Library will take place at the tranzit office gallery and lecture space (Dittrichova 13, Prague 2). A marathon reading will begin at 7 AM and end at 7 PM of the book Narodila jsem se pod šťastnou hvězdou (A False Dawn) by the eminent Romani author Elena (Ilona) Lacková.
Every half hour a different reader from the list of invited guests, collaborators and friends of the library will read a different excerpt from the memoir. At 19:00 there will be an opening party with music by Mary C.
The library focuses on the emancipation of cultures and ethnic groups who are discriminated against. The collection of these gradually accumulated works by Romani authors has been created thanks to the initiative of Ladislava Gažiová, who has consulted the selections with activists and Romani Studies scholars.
The main interest is in collecting Romani authors from Europe, but there is a plan to collect from countries beyond Europe as well. "We would like to add books on the subject of Romani culture, emancipation and post-colonial thought applied to the issue of Roma and their situation. We perceive the library to also be a platform for gatherings about cultural and political subjects, presentations by authors and Romani figures, etc. The main aim of the library is to involve Romani communities, who should become the main actors in these discussions," organizers said.
- Czech Republic: Romani people discuss whether the approach of Afrofuturism could empower them
- Czech Republic: Romanes-language literary contest celebrates its 20th year
- The burden of identity: How to survive your Romani ethnicity
- A Roma Journey, an exciting new web exhibition from The European Library
- New guidebook on children aging out of institutional care hopes to make their transition to adulthood easier in the Czech Republic
- England: Documentary film Pongo Calling, about Romani émigrés from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, premieres tomorrow at DocFest
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival resumes parade in Czech capital
- Czech theater ensemble producing project about children's extremism and radicalization, "Commander"
- In an historical first, Romani artist Małgorzata Mirga-Tas represents Poland at the Venice Biennale with “Re-enchanting the World”
- Antonín Gondolán: If you're a decent person who looks good, you can get things done!
- Czech capital to see announcement of awards for children's Romanes-language literature, video and visual art today - Romano suno 2021
- Romani artist from Serbia portrays death of Stanislav Tomáš, exhibition in Prague closes 9 December
- Czech popular music awards show returns, Romani singer Monika Bagárová schools racist rapper on live television
- First Roma Library to open in Sweden, with literature in different dialects of Romanes by Romani authors and books on Romani culture in Swedish
- "How I Became a Partisan": Vera Lacková's documentary about Romani partisans screened at Czech film festival
- Czech gallery holds exhibition of visual antisemitism from the Middle Ages to the present