Czech Republic: Romani candidates win three council seats in Trmice
A group of Romani candidates who decided to run in the local elections in Trmice has enjoyed success. The "Together for Trmice" (Independent Choice) movement, led by Martin Bajger, ended up winning 19.22 % of the vote, coming in second place and seating three people on the Trmice council.
Martin Bajger and Martina Šimková have become councilors. Marcel Cichý, who was successful on the candidate list of the Civic Democratic Party (Občanská demokratická strana - ODS) in 2010, defended his current council seat.
"We are proud to have succeeded in putting together a group of people who can stand on their record of everyday honest work. This is a group that has come together of its own free will, a group in which each of us is prepared for and willing to keep our promises," Bajger said before the elections.
First place, with 24.36 % of the vote and four council seats, was defended by the Mayors and Independents group (Starostové a nezávislí), while the Association of Independents (Sdružení nestraníků) will have two seats. One seat each was won by the Association for Koštov (Sdružení pro Koštov), the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD), the Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia (KSČM), the Party of Health, Sport and Prosperity (Strana zdraví sportu prosperity), Trmicers for Trmice (Trmičáci pro Trmice) and Our Trmice (Naše Trmice).
- The Purge: Czech local and Senate elections in 2014
- Czech Republic: Romani political candidates withdraw before local elections
- Czech town's bulletin intentionally racist in runup to local elections
- Czech town that repeated elections three times may see vote-buying again
- Alica Heráková: Local elections and the Romani political scene - who will succeed?
- Czech NGO says most women ever running in local elections
- Czech Republic: EU citizens from abroad may vote in local elections
- Czech Republic: Romani candidates establish movement for local elections
- Czech local elections see attempts to buy votes
- Czech Republic: Racist graffiti on Romani candidate's election poster
- Czech Regional Governor gives award to Romani man who saved toddler's life
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Commentary: What can the European elections improve? The Czech Republic's global image
- Spain: Two Romani men and two Romani women elected to national legislature, an historic success
- Inspiration from Sweden could aid Czech Republic with combating disinformation
- Complaint against racist election campaign in Czech town heads to the European Court of Human Rights
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint about hateful election campaigns, but agrees they were unethical
- Czech Police: Election slogan about "pests" and "poison" a misdemeanor, use of "riff-raff" ok
- Slovakia has 41 Romani mayors - 39 male and two female - a record high
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- Czech Senate elections won by the right-wing Civic Democrats
- Czech Republic: RomanoNet launches campaign to get out the Romani vote - "ME DŽAV! A so tu?"