Czech Republic: Romani caretakers to supervise building safety in Zlín Region
The Zlín Regional Administration has approved a subsidy to the ARGO civic association for the sixth time for the provision of Romani caretakers in selected localities. The Romani localities in the towns of Holešov, Kroměříž, Uherský Brod and Zlín will each receive a Romani caretaker.
A subsidy of CZK 400 000 has been approved to pay for their work. "Experience from previous years has shown us that this is a time-tested method to maintain not just cleanliness and order in Romani localities, but to prevent intolerance of them among the surrounding population. Support for the employment of these groups is also an important element," said Taťána Valentová Nersesjan, the Zlín Regional councilor responsible for social policy.
The Bořenovská locality in Holešov will have a caretaker working at a housing complex of five apartment blocs made of plastic. Caretakers will also work at the Romani locality of Račín in Kroměříž, where there is a total of 29 apartment units, and in the locality of Obecina in Zlín, where Romani people are in the minority.
"In Kroměříž and Zlín we are seeing great progress. In the past, many people complained of disorder in those localities and today those complaints have stopped," Nersesjan said.
The sixth locality where a caretaker will work is that of Větrná a Vazová in Uherský Brod, which is again a locality with both a non-Romani and Romani population. The main activities of the caretakers include cleaning around the outside of apartment bulidings, inside their common areas, and near garbage cans, clearing snow in the winter, maintaining the cleanliness of playgrounds, and oversight of good relations between neighbors.
The nonprofit organization ARGO has been implementing programs in the field since 2005 that target the Romani minority in Zlín Region. In 2010 the group added caretakers working in Romani localities to its activities.
- Cyril Koky: Address Romani unemployment through responsible public procurement
- Czech ombud: Towns need state financial aid and active employment policy
- Czech town revives housing estate through employment policy
- Czech Police research relationship between crime, poverty and unemployment
- Central Bohemian Romani Affairs Coordinator Cyril Koky: Long-term unemployment is a problem
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
- International work experience opens up for unemployed youth in the Czech Republic
- Czech town hires Romani lifeguards, swimmers respond positively - especially Romanes speakers
- Czech towns hire Romani community members as police assistants
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
- Romani newcomers to Czech town decide to relocate after altercation and protest - despite police protection
- Monika Kokyová on MasterChef: I want to show my ideas