Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
A Romani family from Nečtiny (Plzeň district) has become a target for assault and threats committed by their neighbors, the Mikšovský family, who are adherents of the ultra-right and supporters of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy of Tomio Okamura" (SPD) political movement. The Romani family believes the Mikšovský family hates the fact that Romani people have acquired a house and plot of land next door to them.
The Mikšovský family members allegedly also have conflicts with others in the village and publish fabricated anti-Muslim and anti-Romani reports and videos to their Facebook pages. The disinformation Facebook profile "Nestra Istra", which has recently been reviewed by news server Manipulátoři.cz, has called for the deceptive reports about this Romani family to be shared by all "patriots".
The allegations are being shared by disinformation websites such as Aeronet or Svobodný vysílač ("Free Broadcaster"). "They are alleging that we are brutally assaulting and threatening them. The opposite is the case. In the commentaries beneath their post on Facebook some people have already written that they want to come to Nečtiny to take a look at us... We're actually afraid of that. We fear somebody might come here and set our house on fire. I keep recalling the case of Natálka," a woman who is a member of the family being victimized by the constant online assaults described to news server Romea.cz.
The Romani woman, who is in the beginning of her eighth month of pregnancy, says a female neighbor threatened to "kick the child out of your belly" and uses her dog to bother her. Other people were present during this invective and threats and are willing to testify to police, who are investigating.
Other inhabitants of Nečtiny have confirmed to news server Romea.cz that the Mikšovský family have committed problematic, violent behavior. "Their behavior crosses the line of what is normal. They have disputes underway with many people. Their cases, for the time being, end up just being considered misdemeanors, but who knows how far it will go. They have disputes underway with the schools their children attend, they have disputes with the Labor Office, with the police and with the mayor, they even got into arguments with Okamura's SPD party, which eventually excluded them ...," a resident told news server Romea.cz on condition of anonymity.
The Romani family is currently in contact with a legal organization that aids victims of hate crime. "We just want to live with our family in a calm environment and not in fear. We are in contact with a legal organization and we are considering pressing criminal charges," the victimized Romani family told news server Romea.cz.
- Czech MP moving into impoverished Romani neighborhood in northern Bohemia
- Czech Police charge senior citizen, a fanatical supporter of xenophobic politician, with terrorism
- Czech Constitutional Court president: Ethnic and national self-centeredness and xenophobia are a threat to Europe
- Residents of Czech neighborhood announce "Two Weeks of Vigilance" to protest their impending eviction
- Czech chair of National Council of People Living with Disabilities lets himself be used to promote populist, xenophobic party
- Czech Republic: Apartment building on fire in Romani neighborhood, 20 injured, including children
- Czech Internet spreads lies and xenophobia after brawl in Brno, Interior Ministry responds
- Czech futsal club "takes a knee" against the xenophobic remarks of the SPD chair and the President
- Antigypsyism on the agenda at EU’s High-Level Group on combating racism, xenophobia and other forms of intolerance
- Czech President will address national convention of xenophobic SPD party
- Czech sociologist: We must face down xenophobia by supporting those who are intimidated
- Czech pop music contest says fans of xenophobic band have broken their rules
- Another Czech-language Internet hoax gives false, sectarian, xenophobic interpretation to video of riot
- Czech "November Challenge" against racism and xenophobia responds to online racist death threats against children and more
- Czech Republic: Roma combat drugs and prostitution in collapsing neighborhood, minors may be involved
- Declaration against xenophobia signed by 15 prominent figures in Czech town of Liberec
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Czech towns hire Romani community members as police assistants
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers
- Open Letter: Conveners of Holocaust commemoration are too quiet after politician disgraced it
- Czech doctor prioritizes registration of Romani patients and receives hateful threats from non-Roma
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police send case of attack on Romani minors to Criminal Police to determine whether it was a felony
- Romani newcomers to Czech town decide to relocate after altercation and protest - despite police protection