Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
On 19 November a residential hotel in Teplice, Czech Republic, caught fire. Twelve people, five of them children, suffered from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters evacuated a total of 30 people from the building. Milan Rudof of the Regional Firefighting Corps and Prokop Voleník, spokesperson for the Regional Emergency Medical Services, informed the press of the incident.
News server Romea.cz has learned the residential hotel was mainly inhabited by Romani tenants. The blaze broke out before 13:00 CET in the multi-storey building on Přítkovská Street in an apartment that was fortunately unoccupied at the time.
EMTs took those who were suffering from smoke inhalation to hospital. The cause of the blaze and the amount of the damage was not yet known at the time of reporting.
"An investigation is underway in collaboration with the firefighter corps investigator. Police dogs were called to the scene to track what the accelerant was," said Regional Police spokesperson Alena Bartošová.
Romani activist Jozef Miker aided the afflicted families at the scene and told news server Romea.cz that "Apparently the fire sparked from an electrical outlet. One apartment is totally destroyed where a young family with two children was living."
"I bought groceries for that family and others from the residential hotel, they got hot tea also," Miker said, adding that in collaboration with local Romani politician Karel Karika, he had managed to arrange basic clothing donations for the afflicted family. They are temporarily living with the mother of a young woman who lives in the same building.
- Czech Republic: Apartment building on fire in Romani neighborhood, 20 injured, including children
- Czech volunteer firefighters tell Romani children club is full - then accept a different applicant
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- Czech regional elections: Ninth-place Romani candidate says housing and lack of representation are the community's biggest problems
- Czech town ordered to pay Romani residents evicted in 2006, may appeal
- New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Czech housing benefit rules become more strict as of 1 July
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Austrian SozialMarie award goes to Slovak project Dom.ov aiding Romani families with building housing
- Czech Supreme Administrative Court upholds homeless Romani family's appeal of eviction, returns case to Regional Court
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week
- House of Romani family in Czech Republic burns down: Arson, or unfortunate accident? Police are investigating