Czech Republic: Romani people who responded to racist innuendo by giving the Nazi salute face up to three years in prison
The local daily Domažlický Deník reports that the Czech Prosecutor's Office has filed charges with the District Court in Klatovy against two Romani men from Kašperské Hory, Lukáš Červeňák (26) and Martin Škvár (32), for giving the Nazi salute in a restaurant in Kašperské Hory on 29 December 2016. Both men, however, claim that they did so in response to racist sentiments expressed toward them by one of the restaurant's customers.
The national daily Právo reports that the men explained that a customer called them thieves because of their skin color, and they then gave the Nazi salute as a provocation, since he had been so racially intolerant toward them. "What happened was a regular put his medicine on the table and said to [the Romani men] in jest - or rather, as a drunken bit of fatuousness - that he hoped [the Romani men] wouldn't eat his pills, or that the pills wouldn't disappear. They took it personally, as him implying that all Romani people automatically steal. That was the trigger, and then they began to get stupid," restaurant operator Lukáš Zabloudil told the daily Právo.
Both of the Romani men, according to the indictment, extended their right arms in front of them as if giving the Nazi salute and shouted "Sieg Heil" at least twice in front of the other customers, with Škvár also shouting "Heil Hitler", according to Právo. Červeňák put two fingers of his left hand between his nose and upper lip in order to mimic Hitler's mustache.
When the owner of the business asked the Romani men to leave, Škvár allegedly threatened to beat up the entire pub and intentionally chest-butted the restaurant owner more than once. The situation did not calm down until police arrived.
Both Romani men are charged with committing the offense of displaying sympathy for a movement aimed at suppressing human rights and freedoms, while the older one is also charged with rioting. They are now awaiting trial.
"The indictment was filed with the District Court in Klatovy on Thursday, 27 April," State Prosecutor Jiřina Vítovcová said. If convicted, the court could send both men behind bars for up to three years.
- ROMEA reports 10+ criminal incidents involving racist commentaries and threats on Facebook to the Czech Police
- Czech Justice Minister will not discipline state prosecutor accused of protecting racists
- Carmen Russo: The Fight For a Better Future. Battling Racism in Czech Schools
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Wales: Young Traveller Accused of 1976 Murder May Get His Name Cleared
- New Czech documentary about neo-Nazi who still lives with his mother at age 40 and hates the world
- Bulgaria: Anti-Roma Protests Continue After Alleged Romani Attacks on Teenagers
- Bulgaria: Alleged Romani Attacks on Rowers Sparks Anti-Roma Protest
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
- US: Police Officer Shoots African-American Man and is Acquitted of Manslaughter Charges
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Commentary: The value of life in Central Europe depends on skin color
- Czech youth faces three years in prison for Nazi salute and swastika
- Finland investigating racist commentaries shared on Facebook by police officers
Tags:Racism, Trial, Violence, Kriminalita
on 17 July.
Czech tabloid fraudulently tells readers CCTV footage of theft in Chile was from Ostrava - antigypsyism is the response18.7.2017 7:16
Ninety years ago the Czechoslovak authorities issued law on "wandering gypsies", took fingerprints for "gypsy identification cards"15.7.2017 14:13
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.