Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
During the fifth BARUVAS meeting at the end of March in Týnec nad Sázavou, Czech Republic, 22 students in different areas of secondary education filmed a video with a strong message. The clip was published by news server Romea.cz on the occasion of International Romani Day (8 April).
"We are Roma, we live in the Czech Republic and this is our home. We are studying, we have vision, we have aims, and we want to be successful," the Romani students say in the video.
The students were aided in their creation of the strong message by a team from the ROMEA organization and ROMEA TV together with Richard Samko, a moderator for Czech Television who collaborates with Romea.cz's editors. The BARUVAS ("We Are Growing") meetings of Romani students are implemented regularly during the course of the year by ROMEA as part of its Romani Scholarship Program.
Currently 81 students of secondary and higher technical colleges are receiving scholarships through the program. Dozens of other students are receiving tutoring, mentoring, or the opportunity to complete various courses and internships thanks to the program.
The students themselves perform volunteer activities in various facilities and organizations as part of the program. The concept behind the regular meetings of Romani students is to support selected participants with their education, self-development, and intensifying their knowledge, experience and contacts to use both in their personal and their professional lives.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Czech Police officer explains why he donated to Romani Scholarships
- Czech Republic: Unique "Memory of the Roma" project keeps historical memory alive through video
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- They didn´t believe he was a university student, but he didn´t give up. Baruvas helps young Roma grow.
- Czech Republic: The English College in Prague fundraises for Romani student scholarship
- Czech primary school hires private security, ROMEA organization offers aid to the management
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights: Roma fleeing Ukraine frequently face discrimination and prejudice
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister gets a haircut at a Romani-owned barbershop to mark World Roma Day
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- More than 3 000 people assembled to celebrate World Roma Day in Ostrava, Czech Republic - footage of performances here
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I wish all Romani men and women the very best for their day today, with all my heart!
- Jihlava, Czech Republic flies the Romani flag in honor of World Roma Day
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová met with Roma students on the occasion of World Roma Day
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Czech Prime Minister wishes Romani citizens of the Czech Republic "all the best" on World Roma Day
- Romani people worldwide celebrate World Roma Day, 8 April
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization