Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
During the fifth BARUVAS meeting at the end of March in Týnec nad Sázavou, Czech Republic, 22 students in different areas of secondary education filmed a video with a strong message. The clip was published by news server Romea.cz on the occasion of International Romani Day (8 April).
"We are Roma, we live in the Czech Republic and this is our home. We are studying, we have vision, we have aims, and we want to be successful," the Romani students say in the video.
The students were aided in their creation of the strong message by a team from the ROMEA organization and ROMEA TV together with Richard Samko, a moderator for Czech Television who collaborates with Romea.cz's editors. The BARUVAS ("We Are Growing") meetings of Romani students are implemented regularly during the course of the year by ROMEA as part of its Romani Scholarship Program.
Currently 81 students of secondary and higher technical colleges are receiving scholarships through the program. Dozens of other students are receiving tutoring, mentoring, or the opportunity to complete various courses and internships thanks to the program.
The students themselves perform volunteer activities in various facilities and organizations as part of the program. The concept behind the regular meetings of Romani students is to support selected participants with their education, self-development, and intensifying their knowledge, experience and contacts to use both in their personal and their professional lives.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Czech Police officer explains why he donated to Romani Scholarships
- Czech Republic: Unique "Memory of the Roma" project keeps historical memory alive through video
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- They didn´t believe he was a university student, but he didn´t give up. Baruvas helps young Roma grow.
- Czech Republic: The English College in Prague fundraises for Romani student scholarship
- Czech Republic: Romani high school students receive scholarships at ceremony, sponsors are convinced education is an investment
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- ROMEA gives 94 Romani students at Czech colleges and high schools scholarships, program is in its fifth year
- Czech Republic: 11th Romani student meeting BARUVAS is changing lives
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Czech foundation introduces new online platform for tutoring services
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- Adriana Kotlárová, educator at school with many Romani pupils: Families have no Internet access, personal contact unavoidable even during COVID-19
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country