Czech Republic: Romani woman who saved five lives four years ago lives in a shelter because no one will rent to her
"I still remember what happened back then, I frequently discuss it with my friends... or I sometimes jerk awake when I'm asleep and dreaming about the water. It's better now, though," says Irena Drevňáková, the Romani woman who did not hesitate four years ago to save the lives of several people who were in a car crash.
News server Romea.cz traveled recently to the village of Studená near Jindřichův Hradec, where Drevňáková currently lives together with her boyfriend and their three children in a shelter. All of the promises made to her after she received many awards in recognition of her good deed are now just a fading echo.
Drevňáková has not heard from those she saved or their families since. In the video interview above, she discusses how her family has been living after her previous residence was condemned, how they are faring with finding housing and jobs, and what their wishes are for the future.
The native of Telč was awarded a Silver Medal by the Czech Senate in 2012 for saving the lives of five people. Two others involved in the rescue, Roman Červenka and Jiří Kadlec, also received that award.
The trio were honored for intervening without hesitation at the scene of a serious traffic accident in which a vehicle with five people inside crashed into a tree and then was hurled into a fishpond, where it sank beneath the surface. The brave 24-year-old woman was given the "Gypsy Spirit 2013" award one year later for "Good Deed of the Year" as well as several other awards from various institutions.
- Emil Ščuka asks not to be considered for Roma Spirit Award in the Czech Republic
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister Michael Kocáb calls on Gejza Horváth to attend the Roma Spirit ceremony
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Czech Republic: Roma Spirit 2016 announces final candidates
- European Roma Spirit Awards: Impreuna, Roma Education Support Trust, Romea.cz, Spišský Hrhov, Sabiha Suleiman
- Czech PM Petr Nečas at Gypsy Spirit: Prejudice deforms the rules
- ROMEA wins Czech Gypsy Spirit 2010 award
- Czech PM to attend Gypsy Spirit 2010 awards
- Gypsy Spirit 2009 prizes awarded in Czech Republic
- First Czech Gypsy Spirit prizes to be awarded today, ROMEA nominated
- ROMEA nominated for Gypsy Spirit 2009
- Gypsy Spirit 2009: Prizes for those working for the Roma community
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Two brothers of Radek Banga object to his remarks about Roma in Czech media interview and his portrayal of their family in his book
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech Senate elections won by "Mayors" party, xenophobic rhetoric scored no votes, owner of disinformation tabloid not reseated
- Romani candidate for Czech Senate will not advance to the second round, but scores better than his extremist opponents
- Czech President to decide whether Romani musician to receive state honors as Senate proposes
- Former Czech ombudswoman running for Senate on a platform of justice, in the broadest possible sense