Czech Republic: Romani woman who saved five lives four years ago lives in a shelter because no one will rent to her
"I still remember what happened back then, I frequently discuss it with my friends... or I sometimes jerk awake when I'm asleep and dreaming about the water. It's better now, though," says Irena Drevňáková, the Romani woman who did not hesitate four years ago to save the lives of several people who were in a car crash.
News server Romea.cz traveled recently to the village of Studená near Jindřichův Hradec, where Drevňáková currently lives together with her boyfriend and their three children in a shelter. All of the promises made to her after she received many awards in recognition of her good deed are now just a fading echo.
Drevňáková has not heard from those she saved or their families since. In the video interview above, she discusses how her family has been living after her previous residence was condemned, how they are faring with finding housing and jobs, and what their wishes are for the future.
The native of Telč was awarded a Silver Medal by the Czech Senate in 2012 for saving the lives of five people. Two others involved in the rescue, Roman Červenka and Jiří Kadlec, also received that award.
The trio were honored for intervening without hesitation at the scene of a serious traffic accident in which a vehicle with five people inside crashed into a tree and then was hurled into a fishpond, where it sank beneath the surface. The brave 24-year-old woman was given the "Gypsy Spirit 2013" award one year later for "Good Deed of the Year" as well as several other awards from various institutions.
- Emil Ščuka asks not to be considered for Roma Spirit Award in the Czech Republic
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister Michael Kocáb calls on Gejza Horváth to attend the Roma Spirit ceremony
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Czech Republic: Roma Spirit 2016 announces final candidates
- European Roma Spirit Awards: Impreuna, Roma Education Support Trust, Romea.cz, Spišský Hrhov, Sabiha Suleiman
- Czech PM Petr Nečas at Gypsy Spirit: Prejudice deforms the rules
- ROMEA wins Czech Gypsy Spirit 2010 award
- Czech PM to attend Gypsy Spirit 2010 awards
- Gypsy Spirit 2009 prizes awarded in Czech Republic
- First Czech Gypsy Spirit prizes to be awarded today, ROMEA nominated
- ROMEA nominated for Gypsy Spirit 2009
- Gypsy Spirit 2009: Prizes for those working for the Roma community
- Czech President to decide whether Romani musician to receive state honors as Senate proposes
- Former Czech ombudswoman running for Senate on a platform of justice, in the broadest possible sense
- In one Czech Senate race, the "private individual vs. bureaucrat" distinction is being drawn
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- Romani competitive dancer Tomáš Kaluja aids non-Romani foster parents of Romani children in Slovakia with understanding ethnic identity
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- Outgoing Czech Public Defender of Rights says her former deputy is not a good choice to succeed her
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech Republic: Charles University's Romani Studies Seminar accepting applications