Czech Republic: ROMEA awards scholarships to Romani secondary school students
More than 50 Roma students at higher vocational schools and high schools in the Czech Republic received scholarships yesterday in Prague from the ROMEA organization. The stipends aid those whose studies are endangered by their families' bad financial situations.
More than 100 Romani students applied to the program. In addition to assessing their families' economic situations and the students' academic achievements, the scholarship commission also took into consideration students' after-school activities and motivation.
The high school students chosen will receive CZK 14 000 (EUR 500) for the school year, while those attending higher vocational schools will receive CZK 21 000 (EUR 800). "We not only have students here from prestigious college preparatory schools, nursing schools and teacher-training schools, but also from schools focused on construction or engineering. We also have, for example, two students from the Janáček Conservatory who performed on piano and saxophone for us during the ceremony," said Jitka Votavová, project manager of the scholarship program.
In the motivation essays that were required as part of their applications, students wrote, among other things, that they consider studying to be a way to move out of the excluded localities in which they now live with their parents. ROMEA has also offered scholarships for college students.
The introduction of scholarhips for students at high schools and higher vocational schools is the organization's response to many years of requests from Romani children and parents for support at that phase of their studies. Compulsory, free education in the Czech Republic is from the ages of six to 15 only.
- Czech Republic: Romani scholarship recipients study economics, history, IT, languages and medicine
- Czech Republic: Roma seek scholarships for secondary education, plan to become architects, computer experts, doctors and police
- Czech Human Rights Minister congratulates 30+ recipients of Roma Education Fund scholarships
- International meeting of Roma health scholarship program
- Scholarship Programme for Young Researchers from Eastern Neighbouring Countries
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- ROMEA gives 94 Romani students at Czech colleges and high schools scholarships, program is in its fifth year
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Slovak court says school, not state, is responsible for segregating Romani children
- Czech Republic: 11th Romani student meeting BARUVAS is changing lives
- Antigypsyism and antisemitism rooted in European culture for centuries, experts discuss the causes of online hate
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Czech foundation introduces new online platform for tutoring services
- Adriana Kotlárová, educator at school with many Romani pupils: Families have no Internet access, personal contact unavoidable even during COVID-19
- Civil society: The Czech state is not fully implementing its Roma integration policy