Czech Republic: ROMEA calls for boycott of performances by Romani group and Russian military ensemble, rejects Russian propaganda
On 11 May the "Academic Ensemble of Song and Dance of the Russian Army named after A. V. Alexandrov", also known as the Red Army Ensemble, performed in Zlín, Czech Republic. This was the first of 10 appearances scheduled around the Czech Republic as part of their European tour, and they are being accompanied by a special guest performer, the band GIPSY 4 EVER, featuring lead singer Xavier Padilla from the legendary but now defunct Gipsy Kings band.
We at ROMEA believe adding this Romani band to the program is a tactic designed to deflect attention away from the voices raising objections to the policies of Putin's Russia and its demonstrations of military power. The songs that roll forth from the hundred-plus throats in the choir are not an innocent, nostalgic, patriotic collection of lyrics from the past.
These uniformed singers reflect Russia's current geopolitical interests. When, for example, Russian occupied Crimea three years ago, the Alexandov Ensemble performed a song about "decent people who protect the glory and honor of the Russian homeland", celebrating the otherwise unmarked Russian soldiers who were invading the Crimean peninsula and the east of Ukraine.
As an organization that brings together Czech people, Romani people, and other citizens and residents of the Czech Republic, as an organization involved with seeing that human rights are observed, with combating discrimination against Romani people, and with combating all racism in the Czech Republic, we at ROMEA consider the participation of this avowedly Romani band, GIPSY 4 EVER, in this tour to be an indirect expression of agreement with the political interests advocated by the current Putin Government and the means chosen by that Government to promote those interests. Those means include Russia supporting the creation of many anti-establishment, demagogic websites in the Czech-language internet environment which, in addition to pieces promoting the current regime in the Kremlin, primarily contain anti-refugee and anti-Romani hoaxes.
There is indisputable documentation of the fact that dozens of these disinformation servers are financially connected to the Russian Federation in particular. Given that we do not consider the Alexandrov Ensemble to be an ordinary musical ensemble, but a Russian military propaganda tool which, through the art of its dance and music serves to promote and "smooth over" the ugly facts surrounding Russia's aggression, we are calling on the members of the band GIPSY 4 EVER to realize the connections we have described here, which disagree with fundamental human values, and to consider whether to continue their collaboration with this ensemble.
The band GIPSY 4 EVER, in our opinion, is just becoming a tool of Russian Government propaganda by accompanying the Alexandrov Ensemble - and the propagandists will not hesitate to call this boycott of that ensemble, paradoxically, an "anti-Romani" action and to call those of us who are protesting against them "fascists" or "racists". We reject this combination of Romani culture and Russian propaganda and we call not just on Romani people, but on all citizens of the Czech Republic not to attend the Alexandrov Ensemble's tour here.
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Russia: Massacre of Romani people in the Urals, two dead, six injured, media reporting is biased
- Russia: Mass demolition of homes in one of the biggest Romani settlements
- Russia: The World Cup begins with concerns about homophobia, racism, and violence
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Czech play focuses on hateful commentaries posted to Internet discussions - #nejsemrasista_ale
- Hungary: József "Choli" Daróczi, translator of the New Testament into Romanes, has passed away
- Novel about the Holocaust and its Romani victims, "Jacob's Colours", now in Czech translation
- Czech Philharmonic will continue collaboration with Romani musician Ida Kelarová
- Feminist Roma theater company celebrates the abolition of Roma slavery in Romania
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- Ladislava Gažiová: Romafuturism means change, the opportunity to reject a distorted history of the Roma
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
- Czech capital to see European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture presentation on support for Romani culture
- Czech Republic: Romafuturismo Library holds its grand opening TODAY
Tags:Apel, boycott, Culture, Russia
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.