Czech Republic's well-loved RefuFest begins in Prague
RefuFest, a favorite festival in the Czech capital, began today. The 11th annual multicultural gathering will last through tomorrow.
This is the first time in seven years that RefuFest will not be held in Kampa Park, as the Prague 1 Municipal Department did not permit it to reserve the space and the festival also lost one of its big grants. A crowdfunding campaign run on the HIT HIT site came to the rescue, as did the exceptional industrial space of the Žižkov Freight Train Station, where the festival is taking place this year.
The program has not changed and audiences can again look forward to a diverse offering of musical performances, a children's program, international cuisine, workshops and thematic discussions. Visitors will have the opportunity to listen to the stories of refugees and the volunteers aiding them, and understandably the traditional dosage of high-quality music also awaits them.
The newly-created HarMálek orchestra, which plays in the brass band style of Goran Bregovič, will debut at the festival, which will also present the Cuban dancer and musician Dariel Martinez and Balkan Family, a fusion of Balkan folk rhythms with groove and jazz music. The main day of the festival will be Saturday, when the biggest number of musical events will be staged, with the evening program taken care of Terne Čhave and the funk band Top Dream Company.
All of this and many other features are absolutely free of charge! The motto of this year's festival is "Get to know each other without fear or prejudice" and is aimed primarily at those who want to get to know the cultures and individual talents of the refugees living in the Czech Republic better.
- Čeněk Růžička: Relatives of the Romani victims of Nazism and survivors disagree with anti-refugee sentiment
- Czech Republic: Five charged for neo-Nazi assault on demonstration in favor of receiving refugees
- Czech report on extremism for last year: 307 events, anti-refugee protests replaced anti-Romani ones
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
- Czech xenophobic band removed from music festival lineup after other performers refuse to share the stage with them
- Czech-Slovak co-production of TV singing contest to feature Romani celebrity on the jury
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic