Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man now in custody
A court in the Czech Republic accepted a motion filed by the Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem and decided to remand into custody the non-Romani man who has been charged in the case of the shooting death of a Romani man in Chomutov. Police spokesperson Daniel Vítek announced the news yesterday.
The accused shot the 34-year-old Romani man to death in the early morning hours of Saturday, 27 May and has been charged with murder. The motion for him to be remanded into custody was sent to the court yesterday, according to the spokesperson.
"According to the findings of the ongoing investigation, the man (born 1980) heard noise from the street at night, looked out of the window of the apartment building where he was, and saw a van running into parked cars and people standing on the sidewalk," the spokesperson said. "He immediately exited the building carrying his legally licensed firearm, went onto the street and began firing at the vehicle, which was moving past him at exactly that moment. The man (born 1983) who was driving the van was shot several times and suffered serious injuries from which he died at the scene."
Police officers summoned to the scene then, according to the spokesperson, immediately arrested the suspect, who waited for the patrol at the scene of the crime and admitted having fired the weapon. "Subsequently a criminal proceedings was begun in this matter and before noon the criminal prosecution of the arrested man began on charges of aggravated homicide," the police spokesperson said yesterday.
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man faces between 12 and 20 years if convicted
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani man shouts racial abuse at 34-year-old Romani man before shooting him dead
- Czech Police investigating shots fired at Romani summer camp and local police procedure
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- OSCE internship in Prague or Vienna, application deadline is 16 March
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion praises town for using EU funds to create social housing
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech gunman who murdered Romani man in his own vehicle will serve 10 years
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Czech town buying real estate in troubled neighborhoods for social housing development