Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man faces between 12 and 20 years if convicted
The non-Romani man who shot a 34-year-old Romani man dead on Saturday, 27 May in the early morning hours was charged with murder yesterday. A detective was also scheduled to send a motion to the Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem for him to be remanded into custody.
Police spokesperson Daniel Vítek announced the charges yesterday. "According to the findings of the ongoing investigation, a man (born in 1980) heard noise on the street during the night and looked out of the window of the apartment building where he was to see a van running into parked cars and into the people standing in front of the building on the sidewalk," he said.
"Immediately afterward he exited the building carrying a legally licensed weapon and went onto the street in front of the building where he began to shoot at the car, which was driving past him exactly at that moment. The driver (born 1983) of the van was shot more than once and suffered serious injuries, as a result of which he died at the scene," the police spokesperson described the findings so far.
Police officers called to the scene then, according to the spokesperson, immediately arrested the suspect, who waited for the patrol to arrive at the scene of the crime and admitted having fired the weapon. "Subsequently a criminal proceeding was begun in this matter and today, before noon, prosecution of the detainee was initiated for aggravated homicide," the spokesperson said, adding that a detective was also scheduled to send a motion to the Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem for the accused to be remanded into custody.
Should the man be found guilty of committing the crime of which he is charged, he faces a prison sentence of between 12 and 20 years. The tragic incident happened on Jirkovská Street in Chomutov at about 3 AM on Saturday 27 May.
An argument was happening on the street between two Romani men. The non-Romani man then came out of the building and began to shoot at the Romani people, as news server Romea.cz reported yesterday, because he was upset about the noise on the street.
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani man shouts racial abuse at 34-year-old Romani man before shooting him dead
- Czech Police investigating shots fired at Romani summer camp and local police procedure
- Ida Kelarová on warning shots fired near Roma children at music camp: The Czech Police refused to help us
- Czech elections: Vote-buying suspected in poor community, Roma not involved
- Slovakia: Police arrest Romani candidate, his daughter insists he is innocent
- Czech Republic: Children's text messages prove incident not one of "Roma gang violence", as media incorrectly reported
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Attorneys for anarchist defendants allege Czech Police instigated plan for unrealized train attack
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech Police arrest man for firing gas pistol while shouting about "Gypsies"
- Czech court releases murder suspect from custody now that all witnesses to shooting of Romani man have been questioned
- Czech Police reconstruct murder of Romani man, shooter faces 20 years in prison if convicted
- Czech Police meet with Romani recipient of MBE to compare experiences in working with the Romani community
- Crime prevention assistants from Romani community prove valuable in Czech town
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
Tags:Aktuality, Bezpečnost, Chomutov, Kauza, Kriminalita, Policie, Vražda
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.