Czech Republic: Third Romani student meeting "Baruvas" begins in Prague tomorrow
From Thursday, 1 June 2017 through Sunday, 4 June the third "Baruvas" meeting of Romani high school and university students will take place in Prague. Participants in the Baruvas program, which is run by the ROMEA organization through its Romani Scholarship Program (Romský stipendijní program), will have the opportunity to attend an intensive program full of experiences and realizations once more.
"It is our honor that our invitation to meet with the students has also been accepted by the director of the International Social Programs section of the Velux Foundations of Denmark, Jens-Jørgen Pedersen. Without the support of this foundation, this program would never have existed in the Czech Republic. Students will also meet other sponsors of the program, who will get a brilliant opportunity to get to know the students personally," said Yveta Kenety, coordinator of the Romani Scholarship Program.
The meeting will be attended this time by 20 specifically-chosen Romani students who will come to Prague from all over the Czech Republic. They include college students of biology and economics as well as younger participants, such as students at college-preparatory high schools with a concentration on IT or languages.
Some of those attending tomorrow also participated in previous "Baruvas" meetings, while others are coming to an event like this for the first time. "I am glad that this third meeting includes many new participants who were recommended to come to Baruvas by their fellow Romani students. That is the best feedback we could get about our work. The Prague meeting of Baruvas will have the sub-theme of how to work with self-concept and self-presentation, which will be reflected throughout the entire program. Besides the gala concert that is part of the KHAMORO World Roma Culture Festival, which the students are certainly looking forward to, they will also have an opportunity to take a look into the world of journalism and to learn about how to make big decisions," said Renata Berkyová, the coordinator of the regular "Baruvas" meetings.
The sponsors of the Romani Scholarship Program will have plenty of time to meet and speak with the program implementers and the students during a Friday morning event. "Baruvas" means "We are growing" in Romanes and is a concept of regular meetings among Romani students that is meant to support the chosen participants in their educations by developing and equipping them with contacts, experiences and knowledge that they will then be able to use in their personal and professional lives.
For more information about the scholarship program, visit www.romskastipendia.cz. To contribute to the scholarship program and aid Romani students with making their dreams of a profession and study come true, please visit https://romskastipendia.cz/index.php/proc-darovat/darujte.
- Czech Republic's second-largest city awarded funds to keep students from failing school
- VIDEO: Romani students spend the weekend in Brno's Cejl neighborhood
- "Baruvas" Romani student meeting in Brno, Czech Republic confirms that education makes sense
- Czech Republic: The English College in Prague fundraises for Romani student scholarship
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history
- Romani college and high school students motivate Romani pupils in excluded localities of the Czech Republic to continue their studies
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech NGO ROMEA offering Romani students another scholarship opportunity
- Barbora Ellen Bilá: I want to go to college and make my grandfather's last wish come true
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply to ROMEA for scholarships in June
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- ROMEA gives 94 Romani students at Czech colleges and high schools scholarships, program is in its fifth year
- Romani college graduate in Czech Republic plans to become an educator himself
- Czech Republic: 11th Romani student meeting BARUVAS is changing lives