Czech Republic tornado aftermath: How to donate to the communities affected
The Czech foundation Nadace Via, which is providing aid to municipalities stricken by yesterday's storm in Moravia, has already received more than CZK 20 million [EUR 786 000] in donations, with more than 20 000 people contributing, and another collection has been announced by Caritas Brno (Diecézní charita Brno). People can send money directly to the Caritas account online and it is also possible to send a DMS by mobile phone.
The donors' platform znesnáze21 has also set up an online charity collection. Both companies and individuals are also donating material aid - equipment, clothing, or tarps to temporarily cover damaged roofs.
Material assistance is being offered mainly through social media. Vojtěch Cirkle, the Bishop of Brno, has announced there will be an extraordinary collection this Sunday to aid those afflicted by the catastrophe in southeastern Moravia.
"I am also calling on volunteers, medics and anybody who might be able to effectively help clear away the damage done by this natural disaster to get involved through their parishes. I thank all who are helping, all who are contributing financially, and those who are praying for the people in the affected areas," the bishop said.
A storm with hailstones the size of tennis balls and a tornado tore through the Břeclav and Hodonín districts yesterday evening, destroying buildings, cars and trees. According to the spokesperson for the Emergency Rescue Services of South Moravia, Michaela Bothová, three people died as a result.
The fundraising campaign conducted by Nadace Via through their Darujme ("Let's Donate") portal will help the communities, local authorities and people affected by this natural disaster so they can better cope with the tragedy, the organizers of the collection said. Money is being rapidly donated to that account.
As of 23:30 yesterday evening about CZK 500 000 had been raised, this morning between 7 and 8 AM the collection grew by more than CZK 3 million, and as of 9:50 this morning CZK 23 million has been donated there. People can also send money through Caritas Brno to a specific account for this disaster or contribute by sending a DMS in the form of DMS DCHB 30, 60, 90 to the mobile phone number 87777.
The Czech billionaire Karel Janeček has drawn attention on Twitter to the collection underway by the znesnáze21 platform, which makes it possible to establish a charitable collection online during a short amount of time for donations to specific individuals. So far more than CZK 500 000 has been donated through www.znesnaze21.cz.
The Rohlík.cz food delivery company said on Twitter it would be delivering basic groceries and children's items to the afflicted area. Zuzana Svobodová, spokesperson for the T-Mobile telecommunications operator, said yesterday the company would be sending a donation of CZK 5 million through the Adra nonprofit to cover rescue work, basic necessities for affected households, and the cost of clearing the storm damage.
- Roma aiding flood victims in northern Czech Republic
- Moravia recovering from floods, Roma from Žilina area of Nový Jičín afflicted
- Family turns to crowdfunding for daughter's post-brain surgery recovery, Czech insurance doesn't cover therapy that gets results
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters
- Czech tornado has left many homeless, including Romani widow with six children
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Slovak organization wins international award for aid to Roma during the COVID-19 crisis
- Fundraiser underway in Czech Republic for Romani taxi driver who was one of the country's first serious COVID-19 patients
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- Czech millionaire goes undercover as part of new reality show, volunteers at Romani boxing club, then surprises them with a donation
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- New Czech donation platform means individuals can now fundraise easily online
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week