Czech Republic: Two demos tomorrow, one against "Islamic immigration" and one against xenophobia
Yet another demonstration against Islam is planned for tomorrow at noon on the Old Town Square in Prague. This one is being called the "Demonstration and March against Islamization and Islamic Immigration".
The Facebook announcement of the event includes the slogan "Let's Stop the Death Cult". Also on the Old Town Square, beginning a half an hour earlier at 11:30, there will an ecumenical and inter-religious assembly of worship called "For a Life Together".
Participants in that assembly plan to gather at the Jan Hus Memorial for prayer, song, and to express their disagreement with hatred of minorities - Jews, Muslims and Roma. The convener of "For a Life Together" is the evangelical clergyman Mikuláš Vymětal of the "Living Together in Peace" initiative.
"The inscription on the Hus monument reads 'Love one another and wish the truth to everyone.' It is as if we have forgotten that," Vymětal said.
"When society tolerates manifestations of hatred against minorities, it ruins the atmosphere everywhere, for a long time, so that both members of the minorities and of the majority feel bad in society. However, we can only solve the serious problems of our world together. That is why we want to stand up to this exclusionary, malignant hatred with a meeting of believers from various faiths," the clergyman said.
"Every incident of hatred and incitement sparks further hatred. I have personal experience of Muslims and I know the vast majority of them behave in a peace-loving way. In society there is supposed to be room for everyone who is tolerant of everyone else. That is why I am joining this gathering," said Renata Wesleyová, a Hussite pastor from the Saint Nicholas Church in Prague.
- Czech extremism report: Islamophobic group uses cyber-bullying
- Czech MP didn't see neo-Nazis at anti-Islamic demo, but Romea.cz did!
- Czech Republic: Demonstration at Terezín will demand Romani victims of Holocaust be honored
- Czech Republic: Protests against Islam and for religious freedom in front of Prague Castle
- Commentary: European demonstrations for unity give us hope, demagogues take it away
- Czech-language Facebook page slanders Romani organizations as anti-Islam
- Czech Police expert disagrees that Roma should stay away from anti-Romani demonstrations
- UK: Muslim leader says Islamists' first victims are moderate Muslims
- Canadian Muslims condemn Islamist radical violence, now face increased aggression themselves
- Germany: Berlin wants to ban planned demonstration against Islamists
- Commentary: Islamic fanaticism is repulsive - and so is European fanaticism
- London: Radical Islamists confess to planning terrorist acts
- Berlusconi exploits Islam and the Roma in his attack on the left
- Islamic and Jewish representatives oppose the extreme right in Europe
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Czech protest against new ombudsman marches through second-largest city
- Czech demonstration for democratic institutions objects to new ombudsman, politicians' efforts to control public broadcasting
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Czech xenophobic band removed from music festival lineup after other performers refuse to share the stage with them
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Jan Balog: Romani nonprofits in Prague will meet to discuss dissatisfaction with Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- PHOTO ESSAY Yet another protest against fascist party in Slovakia, Roma turned out as well
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year