Czech Republic: Unidentified assailants break mosque windows
Unidentified assailants have broken two windows at a mosque on Vídeňská Street in Brno. They are said to have used iron bars to smash them in.
The attack was perpetrated yesterday, but it is not sure when. Police have been investigating since approximately 17:00 yesterday afternoon.
Petra Ledabylová, spokesperson for the Regional Police, informed the Czech News Agency of the incident. She has not provided any more details for the time being.
According to the news portal Islamonline.sk, which reported on the inicident, the assailants broke windows in the prayer hall and school room. It is not the first time the mosque has been attacked.
Unidentified perpetrators previously broke the glass in the mosque door, in a window, and spray-painted the facade. In 2013 someone placed a pile of pork bones in front of the doors to the mosque, smeared the door handle with lard, and hung a piece of pork meat on it.
Detectives shelved their investigation of that case and have been unable to find the perpetrators. Muslims consider pork to be unclean.
Several hundred Muslims live in Brno, according to the available information. The first-ever mosque in the country has been in operation there since 1998.
In recent months anti-Muslim sentiment has been expressed ever more loudly in Czech society. On the one hand this has to do with concerns that a barrage of refugees might be heading to the country, and on the other hand it has to do with fear of Islamist terrorism.
- Renáta Plachetková: EU citizens without settled status as of 30 June in the UK will be deported
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism