Czech Republic: Varnsdorf protest march canceled due to hot weather
Yesterday the second in a series of anti-Roma demonstrations in small towns in the Šluknov foothills started at 14:00 on E. Beneš Square. An estimated 150 people came out to listen to a speech by the organizer, convicted con artist Lukáš Kohout.
In his speech, Kohout evaluated the anti-Roma demonstration held on Saturday in Prague and praised the police for protecting the unannounced march from counter-protesters. Opponents of neo-Nazis and racism turned out in Prague to express their disagreement with Kohout's antics.
In Varnsdorf, police officers were on hand yesterday to supervise the demonstration, which was supposed to continue as a march. The route was announced as leading past the troubled Sport residential hotel, which houses Romani tenants, to the German border, and then returning to town past the home of Vice-Mayor Josef Poláček (Civic Democrats - ODS), who was mayor there for many years. Locals are most angry with him.
In the end, however, the meeting of the "Lukáš Kohout Fan Club" lasted less than an hour. Locals did not show great interest, so Kohout dispersed the gathering, saying it was too hot. The regular marching exercise which locals have engaged in for the past six weekends in a row did not take place this time.
- ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
- Czech Republic: Gypsy Spirit prize being revived by private foundations
- Did the Czech President invite an anti-Semitic extremist to Prague Castle?
- Czech election results in Romani neighborhoods
- Czech Republic: 50 anti-minority racists march in Plzeň, 60 Roma stand up to them
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis attempt pogrom in Ostrava, 500 Roma march against them
- Czech President: More police needed in areas of conflict
- Czech Republic: No Romani candidates seated, populist Dawn (Úsvit) gets 7 % of the vote
- The long road of active resistance to racist marches in the Czech Republic
- Czech elections: Social Democrats gain only slight lead over ANO 2011
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis to march on state holiday Monday
- Czech Republic: Perpetrators of machete attack get up to 17.5 years
Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable17.3.2017 15:03
Patrik Banga: I'm for collecting ethnic data in all areas, but the majority can't tell who is Romani17.3.2017 10:17
discussion about whether estimating the numbers of Romani people should even happen and if so, what the appropriate method is to use.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.