Czech Republic: Visiting season opens at Lety memorial
The memorial at Lety by Písek will launch yet another season for visitors on Tuesday, 31 March 2015 with a program for youth called "Closer Together" ("Sobě blíž") which will feature performances by Mário Bihári and Bára Hrzánová, among others. "Pupils will learn about the history of the Romani people, about the fate that befell them during the Second World War and the Holocaust, and they will see a traditional Romani dance performance, view the exhibition and the remembrance site, attend a lecture, and have performances by Mário Bihári and Bára Hrzánová to look forward to," reads the official website of the Lety memorial.
The travelling exhibition "Return of the Women of Lidice" ("Návrat lidických žen") will also open at the memorial's Information Center, documenting the moving fates of the women who perished at Lidice. Visitors will be able to use an audio guide for smart phones that was launched for the memorial in 2012.
The newly landscaped remembrance site, located at the site of the former burial ground for the so-called "gypsy camp" of Lety, has become a memorial to the victims of the Romani Holocaust. From 1942-1943 the Lety camp was a prison for "Gypsies, gypsy half-breeds and persons living the gypsy way of life".
A total of 326 children, men and women met their deaths in inhumane conditions a Lety. Another 540 prisoners from Lety were sent to their deaths in the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp.
In 2014, 8 667 people visited the Lety memorial, approximately the same number as in 2013. For comparison's sake, the Lidice memorial was visited by more than 42 000 people in 2014 and the Ležáky memorial was visited by more than 12 000 people.
"Closer Together" educational program for youth
- 9:00 Launch at the House of Culture, Lety
- 9:10 Musical performance by Mário Bihári and Bára Hrzánová
- 9:45 Tour of the exhibition
- 10:00 Dance performance by the Čiriklore group
- 10:15 Klára Berkyová and Anna Dunčeková, lecture - "Traveling from India to Europe"
- 10:45 Tour of the exhibition with Romani music
- 11:00 Screening of the film "Lety - Lives Unworthy of Life" ("Lety – nehodni žití")
- 11:20 Lecture by PhDr. Vojtěch Kyncl, PhD. - "History of the Lety camp"
- 11:50 Program ends at the House of Culture
- 12:00 Transfer to the remembrance site
- 12:15 Tour of the Lety Memorial
- 12:45 Laying of wreaths at the memorial, lighting of candles
- Karel Holomek: Who "discovered" the Romani camp at Lety?
- Czech wartime superhero "returns" to criticize Lety pig farm
- Czech Republic: Lety pig farm remembered at entrance to Terezín
- Former Czech Foreign Minister does not believe his father was involved with the Lety camp
- Director of Lidice Memorial says Czech MP's remarks about Lety were unfortunate
- Letter addressed to the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic on Mr Okamura's statement on the Lety camp
- Czech MP faces first criminal charges over remarks about Lety concentration camp
- Jana Horváthová: Hodonín and Lety functioned as concentration camps
- Czech Republic: Shocking testimonies from the Lety concentration camp
- Czech Culture Minister wants to solve the problem of the pig farm at Lety
- Czech Republic: Activists blockading pig farm at Lety where WWII-era camp for Roma once stood
- European Center of Romani Music production about Lety concentration camp for Romani people
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Interview: Patriotism is not the same as hating those who are different
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Roma, make our voices heard in the European Parliament elections!
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader